Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been having a lot of issues trying to get my R running again ever since my CDI went bad. The thing is, my R has an 85 ATC engine in a 1988 frame and looks like the wiring harness was converted to the TRX type since it has the same connector as the 1988 cdi unit. When i ordered a new CDI unit (aftermarket), i ordered for a 1988 (not knowing that i had a 1985 ATC engine). That being said, the quad idles great and will run fine in the lower RPMs, but the second i get to the point where the power band would kick in, it won't rev up any higher. Even at full throttle. Ive read a lot about CDI compatibilities but no one seems to have a clue if a 1985 ATC engine could run with a 1988 CDI. i am a 100% sure that my issue lies on the CDI unit but i just want to get more information before i spend 100$ on another unit. Can anyone help? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Check your jetting; motor you have from 85 atc 250r was running completely different when it was on atc. Pipe difference from atc to trx have different characteristics meaning they will require different jetting! Are carbs you are using between the 2 the same?
I really don't think CDI will have anything to do with bike right now but could be wrong!! Next time in future you buy anything for your trx try and stick to Honda OEM parts. Yes they are a bit expensive but Hondas quality is second to none!

·
Registered
989 Posts
the 88/89 cdi has a slight different timing curve and will work on 85-89..

but as Aztec said STAY WITH OEM

your issue could be from any of the following... cheap aftermarket cdi, bad connections, dirty carb, old fuel, or low compression, and also improper jetting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts