Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the chance of getting some kind of case saver on this thing? The previous owner stated that the case was repaired but I don’t want the same thing happening again.

This being my first R and in the rebuilding stage, is there anyway I can get a case saver mounted up besides maybe welding one on?
Light Bicycle part Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle brake Alloy wheel
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank

·
Registered
390 Posts
That can be repaired but with it like it is right now you can't securely mount a case saver to it. I snapped a chain on my 86 back in 1989 & it doubled up & broke the case saver mounts like your's are. Since than I've been very aware of my chain & sprockets. I check them regularly & replace them more often than probably needed but I haven't snapped or thrown a chain since that day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That's about what mine look like. I haven't done anything about it other than monitoring the chain and sprockets very closely.

·
Registered
390 Posts
It seems like if you used one of those case savers that goes around the shift shaft when there's no lower mounting bolt than it could put some serious stress on the shaft & shaft area on the case in the event of a chain failure. I'd rather take my chances of not running one at all with it being like it is.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Devcon make some nice aluminum putty. That can be machined, drilled and tapped. Build up a nice foundation. Insert the bolts and install an Upp case saver. You will be good to go.
Plant Font Camera accessory Packaging and labeling Liquid
Automotive tire Bumper Font Material property Rim

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 86 a long time ago broke that AND the bottom of the shift shaft hole. If you split the cases get it welded up and hole re machined. If you can’t find anyone in your area I’ll do it no charge👍, you pay the shipping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best bet is proper welding, I'm a welder and its a biassssh to weld this dang potmetal cast aluminum as its so old it holds a ton of contaminants. However, that's the best way. Another way, cheaper is to do what F-Red mentioned and build it back up with a very good epoxy like what he shows, and retap it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts