Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88r i have a leak right a my shifter what can i use to seal it up, if it is possible. is the a tretment for oil that i can use. someone help me please

·
Registered
401 Posts
No easy "treatment" or fix for that. There is a seal there that needs to be replaced. I've never replaced one myself, so I'm not sure how time consuming the job is. I'm sure someone else can explain it better for you than I can.

·
Registered
138 Posts
COrrect me if im wrong, but isnt the seal on the outside, so just the shifter needs to come off? i know i had to deal with a leak here once, cannot remember how i repaired.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy i got it from said the chain broke and it crack it. he said he fixed it with jb weld. so i think i have to replace the hole thing. but it is leaking from the seal so i might get away with just the seal

·
Registered
263 Posts
The best thing to do is to replace the seal or replace the part he JB welded. Otherwise it might keep leaking lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
As wifedup said, you may be able to replace the seal from the outside. Worse case scenario when the chain broke the case it very well could have ruined the case causing the leak at your shifter. Maybe get in contact with Carlos ( acecarlos ) and send him good photos of the damaged area and see what he advises.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would never put any of that stop leak junk in any motor. Even if it did work it would short term. Carlos seems to be the man!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my R after I assembled my brand new motor. Fixing this depends on where it's actually leaking from.

Mine was leaking from in between the brand new shift shaft seal I put in, and the case itself. NOT from in between the shift shaft and the seal. So in other words the case was rounded out letting oil past it.

Take a screw (you'll need a new seal obviously....couple bucks), and screw it into the seal and pull it out. This way you don't have to pull all your clutch components out to get the shift shaft out.

After cleaning it really well and removing all oils (with bike tipped on its side), I used Permatex gasket maker/sealer (blue in color) and laid a bead of it around the outside circumference of the hole, where the seal contacts the case.

Didn't leak a drop after that

·
Super Moderator
4,273 Posts
That Silicone fix is pretty good, like if your trying to get by for a while & not have to buy a new case half. Be sure to put a little oil on the shift shaft itself, just so the Silicone wont stick to it, but be sure not to get any oil on the case.
Sometimes, if you put a good size bead of Silicone in the seal hole, when you press in the seal, it will squish the Silicone into a cracked area & seal it off, stop the leak.
Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts