Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Carbs and options

10K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Jay~Leno 
#1 · (Edited)
So with all the big bore options... what is everyone running for carbs? I know this has been covered but its 2020 and new tech is available. I’m currently running a bdt built 330 race gas 38mm pwk 178 mj 50p(+Pingel). It really likes the dgh needle on clip 3. I’m at 3200 ft and a good day of riding can take up to 6 or 7k feet. Has or is anyone running a lectron carb? I’ve seen good bike reviews. But will it work on the TRX?? To big of price for me to try. I’m also wanting big top end for street riding. Currently have lrd pipe and turbine core 2. I want a bdt pipe! at what point is a big bore pipe needed? I love the looks of those raw whale custom pipes. 🍻🍻
+ running hybrid CR bdt built ing(💪👌)

#3 ·
I here a genuine Keihin PWK 38mm A/S is one of the best carbs for the TRX250R. I don't have a BB build but I do run a 38mm A/S carb on my set-up.
IMO...stick to Kehein or Mikuni 36-41MM depending on application, unless it's a Drag setup, then a Larger Lectron 44-50MM or bigger is in order.

Reason for Kehein & Mikuni is availability of parts; jets, needles, slides, ect...are available to everyone locally....any decent local motorcycle dealer stocks them as they are the most common to MX Bikes & Quads. And when you're in a bind, and can't wait for BDT's awesome Parts, Jetting & 1-2 day shipping :)cool: ), you can walk in locally and purchase what you need....

Woods: 36MM seems perfect for the low end response even for BB engines
MX: 38-39MM works good, OEM to BB engines
TT & FT: 39-41MM gives you the top end needed OEM to BB engines
Duner, General riding: 36-38MM seems almost perfect; based on engine size, work done, and riding style.

Carlos

#4 ·
Been reading a lot of negative feedback on the lectrons. It's weird the dirt bike guys all run them and love them, but 250r guys can't them to perform right. I'm currently running the short body carb and it's truly amazing. My R is fat rich and it runs crisp. Where my 39 pwk I couldn't get it dialed in on the needle and it was blubbery.

#5 ·
My boys stock cylinder R's and my 310 stroker have genuine keihin 38mm AS carbs. My 391 has a genuine keihin pwk bored to 40.5 mm. I feel keihin pwk carbs are the easiest to tune so I always use them. As an experiment I tried one of the $49.99 knockoff airstriker carbs from Ebay/Amazon. I gutted the carb and replaced everything with genuine keihin and it would not run! After messing with it for days I decided that the carb was a POS!

#6 ·
WOW..."carb was a POS"; we AGREE :)

Been reading a lot of negative feedback on the lectrons. It's weird the dirt bike guys all run them and love them, but 250r guys can't them to perform right. I'm currently running the short body carb and it's truly amazing. My R is fat rich and it runs crisp. Where my 39 pwk I couldn't get it dialed in on the needle and it was blubbery.
I really push Kehein & Mikuni f(Kehein being #!) for the reason I stated; parts available locally vs Lectron. Nothing wrong with how Lectron's perform IMO.

Short Body Kehein's on a TRX250R are the very best in response....way better than regular Kehein's.

Carlos

#12 ·
JetRus has the 38 as short body for $329.99. They have the regular 38 airstriker carb for $269.99.
Eddie Sanders has the 38 airstriker short body for $329.00 and the regular 38 airstriker carb for $279.00 and it comes with a free jet wrench and a set of jets. You just pick your engine size range and ESR sends you jets for that.
I'm always on the lookout for a better deal as I have 3 trx250r's and 2 atc250r's that I am either building or maintaining.
Loren

#16 ·
Eddie Sanders talked to me for about an hour last August at the Oregon dunes trx250r meet about short body carbs, his ceo design, and atc racing back when it first started. He runs a short body carb on his 391 ceo. His bike absolutely rips! He has the trx10 pipe on it.
He said he jet his carburetor by himself. So I guess I am not the only guy that can jet his own carb lol. Eddie can do it too!
Loren

#17 ·
I don't think it's a matter of not being able to jet, more a matter of some not having the time or experience, others would just rather have a Builder jet and setup their carbs, answer questions or concerns directly related to a 250R....really nothing more.

At BDT we pride our self's in being able to provide what other Builders, Shops or Parts suppliers can't or won't; we don't just sell parts, or carburetors; we make sure each is setup specifically for the customers 250R based on engine size, fuel, humidity, temperature, altitude, riding venue and style, even overall rider & machine weight...I don't believe anyone else is into the details of fuel delivery as BDT is...a result of all the Racing we are involved with.

At the end; purchase what you want from who you want, and when you have issues; call the 'Best, call BDT :)

Our Short Body (SB) Prices, Pre-Jetted, setup for your specific 250R:

SB BDT Kehein 38: $359.99
SB BDT Kehein 39: $365.99
SB BDT Kehein 40: $375.90
SB BDT Kehein 41.5: $385.90

Carlos

#20 ·
Interesting how you see posts from some that have never run a SB vs a Standard carburetor, as well as other Performance components, pipes, engines, IGN's and feel what they have is already 'good enough'; you really don't know till you test it on the Dyno and at the Track.

IMO a big advantage for BDT is having racers across the country regularly Testing & Racing 2 Strokes-250R's, like Cody, Dave, Chris, Jeff, Ben, Chad, Mike, John, Anthony, On-N-On....regular input from the Top Racers is most important in Engine development & Performance gains.

Carlos

#25 ·
I’m currently running a 40mm Lectron and it rips. It’s not a BB motor though and I will admit that it definitely took some time to dial in but when I finally got it, I felt it was definitely worth keeping. It has a bit of a different feel in the power vs. an Airstryker but I like it because elevation changes seem to not have as much affect on it and when it does u just adjust the needle -I went from riding in NM (~7k ft. elevation) to St. Anthony’s ID and it only needed minor adjustments. It definitely gives it more top end though and that’s why I like it, it revs to the moon. I even have a tapered bore Keihin carb that I was excited to try because I think it may be a Selvy Sonic carb, and I still prefer the Lectron over that beauty because I just got used to it I guess.

#29 ·
I’ve never dynoed it or anything like that so it was more tried and true testing like drag racing or when climbing hills at the dunes, I can pull more gears and still have the power to climb. Stuff like that. It’s just different, a little hard to explain but I’m sure you get the point. I still have my Keihin carbs but I like the ride-ability of the power that the Lectron delivers. Hope that makes sense, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.