Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder if $3000 was a good price for a 86 trx250r. The guy has owned it since 1999. He says it just had a full service at a reputable shop. He says the bike runs perfect. Should I buy it? Am I going to have to work on it alot? Am I going to have to put money into it?
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you post a picture up? You never know about how much work you will have to do on it, how mechanically inclined are you? They are not a four poke that you just put gas in thats for sure..........or at least until you grind it out and get it fully dialed in.

·
Super Moderator
2,409 Posts
If the bike runs and the frame is solid I would be all over that if I were you for $3k!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Keep in mind, your buying a 30+ year old machine. Yes, you are going to be working on it & yes you will be putting $$ into it. That's half the fun:p

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pretty much what Craig B. said is spot on. Rebuilding the top end on an R is a third of what a 4-stroke costs & it's easier to do but if you don't want to have to work on a quad don't buy an R. Not saying they require constant attention but even if the seller has receipts proving its been recently serviced who's to say it was done right. I've seen plenty of cars, trucks, quads & bikes that were worked on by "reputable shops" that needed even more repairs after they were "fixed". I mean no disrespect to anyone here selling R's but I always assume the bike will need work no matter what any seller says unless I personally know them or the mechanic they use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That’s a good deal, I got mine for 3, has some nice touches done to it, but like they all said..they definitely aren’t a “maintenance free” bike unlike a lot of 4 strokes...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Starting to lean towards a 08 trx700xx after hearing everyones response. Thanks for all your input, appreciate it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts