Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Looking to get my 2nd 250r. Sold my first over 10 years ago. At this point in life quads are going for way too much and buying a junker for 3-4k is not somthing im going to do. So at this point i have to ask build or buy?
I want a nice xc quad. Everything done up. For that its about 6500-8500 in my area. Is it a realistic idea to build a 86 trx250r from scratch? Or just fork up for the quad thats done. Biggest cost is a engine. Followed by suspension. Just looking for opinions. Dont have the cash to buy a quad done with what i want. But i can afford to buy little by little. But dont want to overspend by alot starting from nothing

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
You have to weigh your wants with budget and time. It will always cost more to build from scratch and the time nowadays with the lack of people selling quality parts could take forever.
Your best bet is to wait till you find something that is close to what you want and your budget and replace the parts you need to or want to.
You can always ride a running quad while you are waiting and finding parts. Can't ride a pile of parts - you may even lose interest while waiting and finding parts.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah unfortunately, race quads don't come with as much of a deep discount as used racecars (like getting them for $2500 when they cost $20k+ to build 5 years before) which makes it more tempting to build but there is still a discount there with the quads.

·
Super Moderator
98 Posts
Thing I learned building mine from ground up is lots of time and money but it will be what I want. Longest wait will be for quality parts like suspension and motor. Everything else you can pretty much find. Depends on how fast you want it done. You could also buy a running one for 4k use it for a bit then find out you need a motor then you end up tearing down to frame and spending more since you bought a running one for 4k instead of one that’s complete but needs work for 2k. If time is an issue wait and find a nice built one for 5500-6k then add your touch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey guys. Looking to get my 2nd 250r. Sold my first over 10 years ago. At this point in life quads are going for way too much and buying a junker for 3-4k is not somthing im going to do. So at this point i have to ask build or buy?
I want a nice xc quad. Everything done up. For that its about 6500-8500 in my area. Is it a realistic idea to build a 86 trx250r from scratch? Or just fork up for the quad thats done. Biggest cost is a engine. Followed by suspension. Just looking for opinions. Dont have the cash to buy a quad done with what i want. But i can afford to buy little by little. But dont want to overspend by alot starting from nothing
I have a complete but not assembled 86 R. Ct350 pv engine fully rebuilt. The frame powder coated red. I been slowly building it up to sell but I have been working out of town way too much. Looking for around $3500. I have just about everything for it. If this might be an option for you let me know. I can send you pictures of where it is at on the rebuild. The chassis is assembled. I just need to put the cylinder on the cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts