Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my bike about three weeks(loving it) until yesterday! I was riding pretty hard and it sputtered a lil bit, I clutched it and reved it for a sec and when I released clutch it died! As soon as I kicked it I knew somthing was wrong cause it had almost no compression. After some looking I found that the nut on the waterpump propeller had came off and propeller was not spinning. My brother and friends tell me I probably hurt rings and/or piston, I don't have the tools or knowledge to fix it so I brought it the local shop but it's gonna be two weeks before he can take a look!
The guy has done some work for a few friends and he seems to know much more than me. When I told him my brothers stock banshee has more all around power than my R he gave me a puzzled look as if my bike should be faster!
What do you guys think?
Mine is an 87 bought as is with almost no knowledge of it's history
this is what I know:
Full FMF exhaus(not sure which series)
Boysen rad valve
Carb is mikuni not sure what size(not stock)
13/39 sprockets
20" tires
STE POWER is engraved on the right side of the cylinder, local guy says they may mean it has had port work done but I'm not sure.
Aluminum radiator shroud
Aluminum airbox with Velcro outerwear lid and K&N filter

So should I be faster than a 2002 stock banshee?

Sorry I wrote so much! But I miss my bike already so I have to talk about it.

I haven't posted much around here but I have read a bunch and learned even more from all of you!
THANKS To All

This forum is the best....

·
Registered
358 Posts
My guess is you prolly seized the rings. Depending on how bad you scuffed the cylinder you may need a new bore/piston. A stock bore, well ported R should outrun a completely stock banshee.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
STE hmmmm ............... Should Take bansheE

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess mine must not have port work, cause the only way I can beat him is if I get a really good jump! But that's cool cause the few Times I have beat him usually cause he spins to much or missed shift! He gets really pissed! Cause he got beat by younger brother, on a slower, older and cheaper bike!

That feeling is much better than if I had a faster bike and beat him everytime

I'll take my 250r over his banshee any day

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I talked to the guy at the sop today. He said I need new piston, rings and cylinder is very scratched up. His price estimate to fix all that is $400

good news
he found out it had wiesco piston with a big bore kit and he said very good port work!
Bad news
My head gasket had a bad leak, gasket between exhaust and cylinder was also bad.
He said that was causing a loss of compression and back pressure. He also thinks my jet sizes are way off.
He says the combination of all that was causeing a hugh loss of power!

Does all that sound right to u guys?

And price estimate to fix everything is $650
that's including new waterpump, wiesco piston, rings, carb rejet, and exhaust gasket

1 - 7 of 7 Posts