Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m back putting some time into my R. Just installed my axle & going to mock up(needs a clean up before install) my brake caliper carrier. On my lonestar swing arm the brake caliper carrier goes over the bearing carrier & over a post on the swing arm but “rocks” up & down because of the space between the post @ caliper carrier. Is this normal or do I need to get the lonestar caliper mount bracket?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe I just found my answer by looking up on lonestar’s site....thinking I need one of these pieces....anyone have one? Or maybe I’ll just have to contact lonestar Monday?

·
Registered
563 Posts
bdt. 250rtrikes. stay.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake stay bushing. 7.25 on ebay. Bdt has everything for the 250R🍻
Just bought new brake stay & bushing from BDT 👍🏼 I was going to “refresh” my brake stay but once I saw the price of new from BDT I wasn’t going to waste my time!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bdt. 250rtrikes. stay.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt391 ceo
bdt431 puma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BDT to the rescue, Arrived in 2 days! And they sent me a cool carb tool with my order, Thank you BDT👍🏼👍🏼.

Now my only question is where this damn o-ring goes? Fits loosely where snap ring goes. Would it go between brake stay and carrier, between the snap ring & brake stay, not for my application? Wasn’t one on bike when I took apart....was missing a lot of little things when I bought it😁!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answered my own question by looking at BDT website pics, o-ring goes inside the brake stay, there is a channel machined out for its placement.

Biggest pain in the butt that o-ring! I applied a little bit of red tacky grease to “hold” o-ring & seal for install.... super tough to get on, tried to “rock” on, tap on with rubber mallet....no dice! o-ring stuck on snap ring groove & it’s a wrap. No wonder the one I took off didn’t have one. Filled with grease & installed for now. Any tricks of the trade for this? I’d like to have the o-ring in there but it wasn’t happening for me tonight🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
558 Posts
Answered my own question by looking at BDT website pics, o-ring goes inside the brake stay, there is a channel machined out for its placement. View attachment 65177
Biggest pain in the butt that o-ring! I applied a little bit of red tacky grease to “hold” o-ring & seal for install.... super tough to get on, tried to “rock” on, tap on with rubber mallet....no dice! o-ring stuck on snap ring groove & it’s a wrap. No wonder the one I took off didn’t have one. Filled with grease & installed for now. Any tricks of the trade for this? I’d like to have the o-ring in there but it wasn’t happening for me tonight🤦‍♂️
I also just got this part, and was unable to use the O-ring either... I tried for about an hour, and finally the O-ring tore when it got hung up in the carrier groove.. Damnit!

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you can't install the o-ring on the bdt brake stay that means the o-ring gland isn't machined deep enough for the oem o-ring, also there's supposed to be 2 o-rings there. One that goes in the groove in the brake stay & one that goes on the carrier behind the brake stay. Without those o-rings in place if you ride in the sand than sand will get in there & make it hard to turn the carrier to make chain adjustments... Just out of curiosity what material is the bdt brake stay bushing made out of?

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
It's interesting isn't it, that some jump to blame BDT, without really knowing a thing about what they are talking about. I guess you can't change 'stupid'...!

The reason the o-ring can be hard to install for some is the variance in aftermarket carriers at the 70MM diameter....I have found some of these vary more than +.30MM in diameter and can make the o-ring difficult to install.

Also note we are not the only manufacture that sells Billet Aluminum Stays, however; we are the ONLY manucture that sells the stays with the o-ring gland machined in place, we are also the ONLY manufacture to include the Honda OEM o-ring....I guess if we take the analogy presented; they are ALL JUNK except the BDT Stay.

As an FYI; the BDT Rear Brake Stay, for ATC250R 86 & TRX250R 86-89 are made identical to the OEM Stay, O-ring Gland included. Both the Stay & Stay Bushing are made from 7075-T6 (go ahead scrappy and try to attack the choice of material if you dare)....will last a life time, guaranteed.

The additional o-ring mentioned, as well as the two o-rings that go on the OEM bearing carrier (note the aftermarket bearing carriers do not have the o-ring glands for these two o-rings) are also sold by BDT separately. I guess using the analogy mentioned by scrappy; all aftermarket carrier are than 'junk' since dirt & sand can get into the system...LOL

For any BDT customers that purchased the BDT stays, and are or had difficulty installing with o-ring in place; send me an email to: [email protected] and I will send you Two Honda o-rings and instructions on how to get these on without damage.

Carlos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts