Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I just rebuilt the top end on my R and replaced the oil seals in the bottom, but any way when I start my R up until it gets warmed up it seems to smoke a little bit. Is the smoke blow by until the top end gets warm and expands? Once it is warmed up it will stop smoking for the most part, just what a 2 stroke (2 smoke) should be smoking anyway. Is this going to hurt anything? I have a 89 cylinder on 86 bottom end with the long rod and spacer plate with 2 gaskets. It has been bored to a 68mm and has the 86 style piston. just curious if that is whats causing the smoke and if that will hurt my engine?

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
HI I just rebuilt the top end on my R and replaced the oil seals in the bottom, but any way when I start my R up until it gets warmed up it seems to smoke a little bit. Is the smoke blow by until the top end gets warm and expands? Once it is warmed up it will stop smoking for the most part, just what a 2 stroke (2 smoke) should be smoking anyway. Is this going to hurt anything? I have a 89 cylinder on 86 bottom end with the long rod and spacer plate with 2 gaskets. It has been bored to a 68mm and has the 86 style piston. just curious if that is whats causing the smoke and if that will hurt my engine?
Assuming the top end bore/hone are correct, proper piston to sleeve clearances, and the rings gap is correct....smoke on a 2 stroke is normal. If the jetting is set Rich, a lot of smoke, oil and unburnt gas will spew out the pipe & muffler. This will not hurt anything, except create a bit of a mess.

Carlos

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming the top end bore/hone are correct, proper piston to sleeve clearances, and the rings gap is correct....smoke on a 2 stroke is normal. If the jetting is set Rich, a lot of smoke, oil and unburnt gas will spew out the pipe & muffler. This will not hurt anything, except create a bit of a mess.

Carlos
I do not have oil or unburnt gas spewing out of my muffler. The jetting is 155 main jet and 55 slow jet. I done the ring gap with a feeler gauge so not sure how perfect that is .

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's a big pilot for the size of main you have & probably where the extra smoke is coming from... Use caution when someone says being rich is ok. It's alright to be slightly rich but if its excessively rich it causes more than just a mess, to much fuel & it washes away the thin coating of oil on the cylinder wall & that's what protects the rings.

·
Registered
12,963 Posts
I do not have oil or unburnt gas spewing out of my muffler. The jetting is 155 main jet and 55 slow jet. I done the ring gap with a feeler gauge so not sure how perfect that is .
So it's not very Rich, might be a bit Rich on the idle,1/4 to 3/8 throttle range (pilot circuit)...as AO stated; it's normal for 2 strokes to smoke a bit, more when cold. Sounds like your good to go....

Carlos

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it's not very Rich, might be a bit Rich on the idle,1/4 to 3/8 throttle range (pilot circuit)...as AO stated; it's normal for 2 strokes to smoke a bit, more when cold. Sounds like your good to go....

Carlos
thank you for all the input, figured I better ask a community that knows alot more about R's than I do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts