Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what everybody uses in the woods. I just got back from beating the snot outa myself with stock 86 shocks. Damn I appreciated my Yz with suspension in it after 5 minutes on the R. It's runs and rides awesome but suspension is needing a upgrade so my 41 year old body might be able to get outta bed tomorrow. Lol

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Look at HLS Elite shocks from GThunder in Ohio. I run them on my R and love them. Completely brand new and setup for your weight for $895. GThunder has tons of experience in setting up shocks for woods-type riding

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything a lil less on the pocket? But $895 ain't bad to not beat ya self up. Lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hls Elite by far the best. They are cheaper then any other option unless u buy used but by the time you rebuilt use ones 895 is still cheaper.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
$895 is about as cheap as they come for top notch shocks. Even buying used, then having a shop set them up for your weight and riding style will cost more than those are brand new.

Also....if you send them in twice per year for service then all parts and labor costs are free.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got a set of used HLS standard shocks from Laz at GT thunder. He set them up for my weight and everything. I just trail ride and have never been on a track and dont plan on it either. I could not be happier with these shocks. They dont have reservoirs but they are awesome in the trails!! I think new ones are $495 and I got mine when he was selling them on ebay for $310. I am sure the elites are much better but for general trail riding I LOVE mine!! And the price is hard to beat also.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was gonna ask about the standards being this is a beater R. I have another I will build later on. I don't need to go super big on it. $495 is not bad to get me a plusher ride. I do remember I bought a set I used Works shocks, maybe I should try them out first. It's been YEARS since I bought em. Hopefully they are still usable

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would send those used works shocks out to be serviced and you will notice a HUGE difference from your worn out oem shocks guaranteed!! You can even send the rear oem out to a guy named Evan Schmidt and for about $150 he will completely rebuild it and make it look new. This is prob the cheapest rout you can go if your not wanting to spend a lot of money but still have a nice upgrade from where you are at now..... Look him up on here or on eBay here is his number if your interested 559-804-0818. He does pretty good work and has done many guys bikes on this forum

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
or you can become good friends with a shock rebuilder or shock pro in your home town who will direct you what to buy, ask you what you want shock to do and especially how soft or hard do you want your suspension. Best part is your friend only charges you very little money and shows you what to do or how to rebuild them for future reference!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
try b line control. he did shocks for my banshee and my r awesome guy to work with extremely happy with price and results.. i tried Evan Schmidt talked to him on pricing and all . i'm sure he knows his stuff but he was not listening to what i was wanting as a customer. hey now arguments here or wars. just my opinion as a customer.
bline control call bruce 651 257 0828

·
Registered
132 Posts
My cousin runs HLS standard on his 400ex with +2 a arms. Very comfortable ride. Better than my trx 450r with shock suspension was.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used BA suspension in Ct for my bikes for woods racing. I'm
Sure he could do something with the Works one. Billy is hooked up thru Factory Connect but works outta his own place. Does sweet work for half the price of FC.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Wondering what everybody uses in the woods. I just got back from beating the snot outa myself with stock 86 shocks. Damn I appreciated my Yz with suspension in it after 5 minutes on the R. It's runs and rides awesome but suspension is needing a upgrade so my 41 year old body might be able to get outta bed tomorrow. Lol
Although the stock shocks will beat ya up. Your still gonna moan and groan getting out of bed in the morning if your not in shape and ride often.. 2 weeks ago my 41 year old ass hurt for 4 days and my shocks were all just rebuilt. did a harescramble today and dont feel quite as bad but its not morning yet either.:(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya. I haven't ridden for a long time let alone on a quad I must say. Lol. Rocky terrain is not my friend anymore at 41 with arthritis in my lower back. Hopefully I can find a lil nicer ride like my Raptor 700 was. In time I'll get a lil less beat up from riding more I hope. Not much time to get out as I used to. Any upgrade is a blessing. Lmao

1 - 15 of 15 Posts