Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '86 250R & rebuiling the complete motor. I just ordered a Hotrods '87-'89 long rod crank (PN 4007).
I read that the '88-'89 (OEM of course) bearings are the better to get because they have an extra ball bearing then the '86-'87...but is it the best & strongest to purchase??

·
Registered
279 Posts
imo dont even bother rebuilding the bottom end. they last forever. every other motor on the planet is on its second bore 20 over. new piston and rings and run it. that is if it's stock your rebuilding. i guess your doing a longrod and adding spacer plate but if your spliting the case to put in new crank i guess another 280 in bearings is worth piece of mind. 9 balls are better than 8. unless your doing a 310 or bigger the longrod-setup isnt gonna give you 2 extra hp. i would just port it and new piston and go.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
if i was splitting the cases i would go ahead and replace with OEM bearings. And far as a bottom end lasting forever, thats a new one on me.:eek:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I believe the later trx bearings and the cr 500 bearings are the same and preferred. Just order '89 trx bearings.

·
Banned
3,183 Posts
if i was splitting the cases i would go ahead and replace with OEM bearings. And far as a bottom end lasting forever, thats a new one on me.:eek:
Completely agree. I have had the bottom end go out on each of the 16 motors I have

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
13,280 Posts
I have a '86 250R & rebuiling the complete motor. I just ordered a Hotrods '87-'89 long rod crank (PN 4007).
I read that the '88-'89 (OEM of course) bearings are the better to get because they have an extra ball bearing then the '86-'87...but is it the best & strongest to purchase??
Get the CR500R or 89 TRX250R main bearings, stick with OEM's if you want the best of the best and your budget permits...and rebuild the bottom end complete; cranks alone go out of spec (even OEM cranks) in 20 to 30 hours of hard use. Once the cranks 'twist' (and they will), the Main bearings, needle rod bearings, ect...will wear more than you think.

Carlos

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yup 8 balls instead of 7 in the later trx and cr 500.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Old Thread -- On the bottom end rebuild. Do you replace all your bearing and seals with a later TRX? I have an 86 crankcase and 86 top-end.

I had to rebuild the crank so, I figured let's replace all the bottom-end bearing and seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts