Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
yes and no.there are alot of big thing's that wouldn't fit inbetween the jaws.i always us socket's,extencions,vise etc.i guess i'm old school."just do with what you have".

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think you'd be able to find a hydraulic press for pretty damn cheap. Try a place like Harbor Freight.

I like using the combination of a small hydraulic press to apply pressure, as well as heating it up with a torch. Gotta keep the bearing-to-case surfaces in good condition to prevent the bearings from spinning. Especially with the crank bearings in these 25 year old case halves

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes and no.there are alot of big thing's that wouldn't fit inbetween the jaws.i always us socket's,extencions,vise etc.i guess i'm old school."just do with what you have".
I am not afraid of using old school techniques, if it works fine it's ok for me, I will only use one of these techniques for personal use. I have no equipement here, so I will have to buy something to be able of doing this.

I think you'd be able to find a hydraulic press for pretty damn cheap. Try a place like Harbor Freight.

I like using the combination of a small hydraulic press to apply pressure, as well as heating it up with a torch. Gotta keep the bearing-to-case surfaces in good condition to prevent the bearings from spinning. Especially with the crank bearings in these 25 year old case halves
Could you tell what model of hydraulic press you are using, I don't know how strong they need to be to work fine. I suppose that when you heat things such as cases, you need to pay attention to not over heating? Just a little of heat around the case area where the bearing is?

Thanks, Max.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
now if you are taliking cases i would deff. just use a press.they can be made pretty easy.i made one year's ago with just an old bottel jack,plow spring's,and scrap steel i had laying around.now if i need a press,i just go to my friends house.it suck's driving there,but not having a press taking up space in the garage is worth it"lol"!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now if you are taliking cases i would deff. just use a press.they can be made pretty easy.i made one year's ago with just an old bottel jack,plow spring's,and scrap steel i had laying around.now if i need a press,i just go to my friends house.it suck's driving there,but not having a press taking up space in the garage is worth it"lol"!
Yeah I agree, loosing space when you don't have a plenty, for a thing that you are not using every day would be unpleasant I guess too.

Is this a jack plow? Cause I am more visual and not familiar with some words. téléchargement.jpg

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
that's the bottel jack. if you look at the harbor freight pic you will see how it's made...the spring's for the one i made was from a snow plow..this is basicly what i made.it just didn't cost me anything but time!!!i ended up selling it for $200.
Yeah I agree, loosing space when you don't have a plenty, for a thing that you are not using every day would be unpleasant I guess too.

Is this a jack plow? Cause I am more visual and not familiar with some words. View attachment 23355

·
Registered
13,058 Posts
Max-pec....consider another option. A need to press fit Honda OEM bearings does not exist, and in reality it is not good for the cases or bearings. Consider the 'shearing' action on the case bore, and the force applied to the bearings, inner, outer and balls....not good.

Learn to heat your cases in an oven at 220 F for 45 to 60 minutes, the old bearings will drop out on their own, the ones that stick to the case bores, just 'rap' the cases on a wooden surface.

To install new bearing, pre heat the cases to 220 F for 45 to 60 minutes.....then drop the new bearings in place, that easy. No 'shearing' of the case bearing bores, no stress on the bearings.

Carlos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts