Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I installed an anti-fade axle lock nut. Now I need to tighten it but the Allen bolt that runs through it has seized. I don't remember if I forgot to anti-seize it or it washed off or dried out. I'm planning to use a hacksaw blade to saw through the Allen bolt. Then I will be able to remove the locknut and evaluate whether to extract the bolt or go back to the stock locknuts that I have in the basement. That way I can see if the nut being loose was making the axle move or if I need new carrier bearings. Are these anti-fade locknuts worth keeping? The one I have just looks like a big nut with an allen in it, not the fancier kind that looks like a doorknob.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bearings are definitely bad. You know what they say, when they go they go quick. Play was in spec (though almost out) only three riding hours ago. Probably get it apart this weekend now that I have it back at my house.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to get the bolt out without damaging anything. And I did indeed use anti-seize back in 2003 or whatever. I'm going to keep using the anti-fade locknut since it wasn't damaged. There is no brand ID on it anywhere. Probably going to go with a Lonestar carrier since they are highly recommended on here. Had to stop once I got the wheels off and the bolt out since it's just too hot to work on stuff right now. I was out working on my truck at 10AM and nearly got dehydration.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you rainstorm for making it where I did end up being able to work on it today. I have determined that the locknut is a Dura Blue (by seeing one for sale) and that I will definitely use it again since the stock system is much more arcane and requires too many special tools to not look all gnarly and mangled. Also the Dura Blue doesn't need to be torqued in the same way a stock one does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts