Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive narrowed my choices down now to the CST Ambushes, the Ohtsu MR501 or Kenda K581 Kutter XC. I will be ordering 20x10x9's either tires. Looking for other suggestions but seem to have pretty much narrowed it down to these 3 based on the reviews here and on BansheeHQ. Based on these 3 tires which one would be best suited for a high HP application for trail riding, open field/grass, rare occasional mud conditions and mostly hard terrain. I don't motorcross and I don't jump if that's of any deciding factors. These tires will not see sand at all, I have paddles for the sand. You suggestions please? Thank you!

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/cst-c9309-ambush-sport-atv-tire

OR

Robot Check

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/kenda-k581-kutter-xc-atv-tire

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Kenda tires are 6 ply so they are a little heavier but they are a strong solid tire. The CST tires are 4 ply so they are lighter and may have a higher top speed compared to the Kenda but they would be more prone to puncturing.

The Kenda tires are meaty and would last the longest out of the 3 in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bro! I'm leaning hard towards the Kendas, my land upstate NY has long fast open trails, then slow down and narrow like a slalom course with small boulders and felled trees and branches and thick leaf beds, then open back up I literally have every type of terrain on my land- so the little extra weight for durability I don't think will make a huge difference on a motor making 70HP (that's just my guess). I also need tires for my banshee making about +75HP and I am going to experiment and put the Ambushes or 501's on banshee. I'm sticking with the same size tire for both bikes so if I have to swap them from rim to rim to see how they act on both bikes that's easy to do..

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've raced a set of hole-shots out here in the Arizona desert with good results & have been fortunate no flats in the last year. Might be worth researching this option as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I ride in some of the toughest fields and dirt roads in S. Fla. These Quadboss' are holding up, as well or better than any Kenda or Holeshot, I have ever used.

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've looked at those quad bosses, is it me or do those knobs appear to be substantially larger than the Ambush knobs??

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just bought several sets of ARTAX tires from motosports.com I love how the feel for my ridding fairly cheap also only thing bad when they arrive they smash them damn near flat hard to get bead seated

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those wondering the Kenda's size 20x11x9 are 17.43lbs per tire...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
mike 6 ply is a must for your type of riding. I ride in Massachusetts all woods dirt roots rocks exact same terrain. I've seen 4 ply blow outs more than enough to convince me. with a high hp bike they will have a stronger platform from distortion when hammering down on the throttle. I run gbc x rex on my ltr 450. maxis razer 2 on my 4 mil banshee. and holeshot on my stroked yfz 450. I have a set of gbc x rex for my 250r build. also x rex on my kfx 450
all are 6 ply. as for weight that's always a funny thing that others discuss. if you are racing then it should be considered . if you are not what's the diffo ?. :) I run 6 lbs in my tires it offers the tread to give and have a bite. the lower pressure gives it a good grip to launch out of a hole shot and in the corners it grips better. the 6 ply has held up with no blow outs I have never had a problem riding this tire pressure in all the years of riding.
I like the gbc x rex. they perform just the same as the razr 2 . just a note I have swapped these tires on these tires on these machines for my own performance testing. all tires were purchased new and a full set front and rear

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
mike not sure where exactly you live in upstate N.Y. but sure would like to plan a ride up there this spring / summer. contracthunter who lives here in mass rides in upstate. we should plan a trip

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Douglas! I've always ran the holeshots on my stock motored banshee and my old ESR 350BB. But now with the substantial HP gains on both bikes I was hoping to get a tire that had good durability and very good straight line traction and cornering traction. I'm hemming and hawing over the Maxis Razor 2's and the GBC X Rex's but I've heard so many good things about the Kendas and the Ambushes as well, and now the 501's which are back out again. I guess ANY of them will all perform pretty much the same way, and unless your racing for money who really gives a sh*t! LOL

You are correct, the Northeast terrain is all very similar, I am in Hillsdale NY (the very eastern bordering Mass in the Berkshire Mountains, about 1.5 east of you and I would drive over to ride with you and Contracthunter in a heart beat! Or you guys are always welcome to my land- 177 acres between mine and my uncles land!!

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those that want to know I have the weights on the following tires all the same size 20x11x9:

Kenda K581 Kutter XC 17.43 lbs per tire

CST Ambushes 15.35 lbs per tire

·
Registered
691 Posts
For those that want to know I have the weights on the following tires all the same size 20x11x9:

Kenda K581 Kutter XC 17.43 lbs per tire

CST Ambushes 15.35 lbs per tire
Wow i was thinking the Kenda would be a little heavier but not 2lbs lol

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not that big of a difference right 2 pounds that's nothing! That's making the Kendas that more attractive to me and the fact as Douglas mentioned, they are 6 ply- a tough tire for my style of riding!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Hey Douglas! I've always ran the holeshots on my stock motored banshee and my old ESR 350BB. But now with the substantial HP gains on both bikes I was hoping to get a tire that had good durability and very good straight line traction and cornering traction. I'm hemming and hawing over the Maxis Razor 2's and the GBC X Rex's but I've heard so many good things about the Kendas and the Ambushes as well, and now the 501's which are back out again. I guess ANY of them will all perform pretty much the same way, and unless your racing for money who really gives a sh*t! LOL

You are correct, the Northeast terrain is all very similar, I am in Hillsdale NY (the very eastern bordering Mass in the Berkshire Mountains, about 1.5 east of you and I would drive over to ride with you and Contracthunter in a heart beat! Or you guys are always welcome to my land- 177 acres between mine and my uncles land!!
thanks for the invite. you are 2 1/2 hrs away not to bad. here in mass we ride illegaly state sucks for that. I would like to come your way in the spring. I will send a pm to contracthunter.
Thanks
Douglas

·
Super Moderator
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then let's do it Douglas! Bring whomever you please! I have a 5 bedroom house, 3 bathrooms- it's my fav get away from NYC! We have long jeep roads, power lines, open fields, tight technical woods riding.. It'll be awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts