Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The '88 I bought a few weeks back has an AMP LINK installed (which I read can crack the OEM frame?) and also a Roost-Boost thinga ma jigger plugged into the coil and zip tied onto the frame up front.
Its probably my best bet to remove both of these things, right? From what I can gather they are gimmicky products that never really did anything? It sucks for my cousin who bought this stuff back in 1991 (I have the original receipts/stickers/instructions) and paid a lot for go-fast parts that really didn't do anything. Anyway, I am worried about jumping this bike with the AMP link mounted...I even read some mounting points had to be drilled out to fit this thing in place and I might be stuck with it. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
the amp link ihave never seen.

seriously? :eek: typical

OP, yes take the amp link off. it worked - in theory- by trying to separate the engine torque on the chain from the suspension movement. as the top of the chain is being pulled forward, it makes the suspension want to squat down or pull up depending which side the chain is on a particular bike/quad.

everything was fine on banshees, blasters, sport 4 strokes, even on dirtbikes too, but for some reason on the TRX250r it cause the frame to break and that kinda was its slow demise. You will need to shorten the chain when you take it off. possibly if the owner went cheap, he just added a few links and you will see two master links.

A collector might be interested in that bit of quad racing history, so check around before just giving it away or trashing it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Back in the 80's I bought a Roost Boost for my 87 250x and it really did make a difference. Back then the magazines claimed the biggest gains were on 2 strokes so when I got my 86 250R in 1992 I bought one for it too but was seriously disappointed when I noticed no difference. It's still zip tied to my frame but has been unplugged for a long time lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I wasted money on both of those things. The rollers didn't last long on the amp link. The roost boost ride along for years probably do very little. Dirty Wheels was the only source of information back then. Advertisers still drive a lot of information today.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Back in the 80's I bought a Roost Boost for my 87 250x and it really did make a difference. Back then the magazines claimed the biggest gains were on 2 strokes so when I got my 86 250R in 1992 I bought one for it too but was seriously disappointed when I noticed no difference. It's still zip tied to my frame but has been unplugged for a long time lol
Did it raise the rev limiter of the 250X? I seem to recall people wanting to raise it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did it raise the rev limiter of the 250X? I seem to recall people wanting to raise it.
I honestly don't remember. All I remember was it revving quicker through the gears. I did several back to back runs with and without it down my dads dirt road. I told my best friend that it was like Ozzy said... wine is fine but whiskey's quicker lol

Next I installed a DG exhaust and it's a good thing it was sooooo frickin loud I took it off right away because I didn't understand jetting back then. Probably would have done some damage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seriously? :eek: typical

OP, yes take the amp link off. it worked - in theory- by trying to separate the engine torque on the chain from the suspension movement. as the top of the chain is being pulled forward, it makes the suspension want to squat down or pull up depending which side the chain is on a particular bike/quad.

everything was fine on banshees, blasters, sport 4 strokes, even on dirtbikes too, but for some reason on the TRX250r it cause the frame to break and that kinda was its slow demise. You will need to shorten the chain when you take it off. possibly if the owner went cheap, he just added a few links and you will see two master links.

A collector might be interested in that bit of quad racing history, so check around before just giving it away or trashing it.
I took it off this week, swapped in all new stock sized sprockets & a DID X ring chain. The old O-ring chain had 2 master links exactly as you stated it may have had... and they were both put on backwards?! The quad also had a crappy sidewinder rear sprocket and stock front so all that went right into garbage. So, the new stuff is in, no big deal. Pondering what I should ask for the AMP link on facebook/ebay? Its in good shape and I have the original instruction sheet and receipt from 1992 from AMP so I would think some 250R collector nut would love to show it off in a weird museum of sorts, what should I ask? I also have the stock 1988 exhaust header (black) in 9.9/10 shape as it was taken off right after purchase, so shes going up for sale too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have 2 roost boost's.lol... Jumped on the band wagon & bought one new when they came out & got the 2nd one with an R I bought in boxes a few years ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just sold my roost boost for $25 a guy was using it as a joke on a vintage MX build..
Was planning on just leaving the roost boost tied to the frame unplugged because its a funny gadget to see. The AMP link though is tough because I cannot find another used one anywhere for a 250R to see what they sold for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In 2020...still "Snake Oil"...:)

Carlos
Yes I was asking a different question about the amp link. I'll post what I get for it on ebay, smdh.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You might want to make that a long listing or a Buy It Now. Otherwise there's a good chance you won't get the full value in a 7-10 day open auction. Might not many people looking for the AMP Link.

·
Registered
239 Posts
An interesting fact about "snake oil salesman ".... They would hide in the crowd around a competitor and make statements and accusations about the other salesmen and his products to get the crowd to turn on the competitors. They would also orchestrate these attacks on real legitimate traveling salesmen to drive them out of town so they would be the only game in town. They would also find and pay collaborators to heckle the competition to turn the crowd of potential customers to the dirtbag "snake oil salesman ". The collaborators would also be in the crowd in front of their employer offering testimonials on how amazing the products are. They would then verbally attack any naysayers who called the "snake oil salesman " what his product truly was...Junk!
Sounds like someone on here doesn't it............

1 - 20 of 26 Posts