Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 88 250r. Guy told me it had no spark. Replaced the coil. No spark. Replaced cdi with 3 different used ones and still no spark. The stator should be good because when I kick it I can get the headlight to light up. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm currently checking for any damaged wires and cleaning grounds

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, to my knowledge the stator is made of two parts....Two different coils mounted to the same unit; one provides electricity to the lights (lighting coil). the other one provides electric to the primary coil (spark plug), this is the source coil. I would believe you have a fault in your SOURCE coil. therefore ...no spark.

Just my .02 perhaps others can be more helpful.

Sam

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Sam hit it on the money...two different coils, one for lights and one for ignition.

Check your ground, wire harness, on/off switch, stator, sparkplug (try a new one), sparkplug boot, ect...

Carlos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So turns out i have power readings to my coil but not to the spark plug boot. Im assuming its a bad coil. I bought a cheap ebay coil so i ordered a new oem coil.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Woodruff key a billions times go down three post from this one to mine about no spark all the info Is there

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New OEM Honda coil. Still no spark. Woodruff key is intact and flywheel spins. Any other ideas? Lol this is getting frustrating. Is there a definite way to tell if my stator is working? Or do I just have to replace it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
DId you check the source coil on the stator with an OHM meter? trace the red/black wire from the stator & use an OHM meter to get a reading. FROM ohm meter, use red lead to red/black stator wire & black lead to good ground. the resistance should be from 50-250 (says the clymer book) I believe somewhere around 160 is the number. FIRE that thing up!

·
Registered
13,265 Posts
Even a stator that Ohms out around 120-180 OHMS can still be bad...only real way is to check with a good know working unit or on an Oscilloscope under power.

As long as your compression is good, NO spark is either an issue with the Stator, Stator Pick-up, Coil, Spark Plug, Spark Plug boot-wire, Coil, Wire Harness, Ground, On/Off Switch or Flywheel. The Flywheel can have broken magnets preventing a spark from generating. You need to carefully examine all the electricals, remove the flywheel and check for broken magnets & corrosion inside.

Carlos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just some feedback by someone with the same problem..

Intermittent spark, but lights would light up while kicking. Ride for a while, and when its warmed up it just cuts out and dies. After checking and cleaned all connections, checking resistance, replacing spark plug, coil and plug boot, I bought a CDI from Ricks Motorsports and it purrs like a kitten. Good luck to you all.

https://www.partsgiant.com/p324927-...8Wz-xfAo2dMkfgrs_TbOpnq_NWli75aIaAhz8EALw_wcB

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off the other guy know what he's talking about do you know how to work on bikes and second thing just because the f** headlight turns on when you kick it does not mean you're getting voltage from your stator to your ignition CDI or ing coil headlights and running coil are two different sections on that stator the ones that are covered with black fiber tape and resin are your ignition coils if those are not generating at least 37 volts bike will not kick over no spark no run no no fun could have been a simple as a fouled out spark plug and you're tearing it all apart and putting all these parts that doesn't even need and waste all this money because you don't know what you doing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts