Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here just signed up!!! I’ve been wanting to put together an 85 atc 250r and motors around me are hard to find but I have found an 88 trx 250r motor for sale... Would it work in an 85 atc 250r frame and what are the differences between the two motors. I think that rod lengths are different on the trikes then the quads.

·
Registered
226 Posts
New here just signed up!!! I’ve been wanting to put together an 85 atc 250r and motors around me are hard to find but I have found an 88 trx 250r motor for sale... Would it work in an 85 atc 250r frame and what are the differences between the two motors. I think that rod lengths are different on the trikes then the quads.
85 and 86 short rod. as for fitment, it will work in your atc if that is what your asking. it will bolt right in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So everything will line up??? Exhaust and rad. Coolant hoses the little things??? But I would have to get a wiring harness for an 88 correct

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yep a trx motor bolts in just like atc
no need for different harness, just plug in
everything hooks right up
atc and trx motors couple internal differences but nothing you'll really notice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't the TRX cylinder have a longer exhaust snout than that of the ATC?...in which case you'd have to have a pipe designed to accept the "extra" length of the exhaust port...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Atc has different radiators and exhaust due to different frame design.So yes an Atc motor will work just fine but you need a Trx exhaust ,radiators and radiator hoses.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry I had a brain fart I thought you were putting an atc motor in Trx.youll need an atc pipe to use Trx motor in atc..

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
just like everyone says outside looking all ATC TRX motors the same. It is the internals that will be different from what came factory with your bike. But that is no big deal at all in my opinion I think you will like that motor with a long rod better than a short rod engine.
Just please make sure ATC coolant hoses, exhaust will be used as well. Kicker and shifter are all the same as well so no worries there as well.
But before you put that motor in go thru motor to see all is well do a leak down check also. And if you can afford for a bit more power go to your Honda dealership and ask or order a head gasket from a 1985 Honda ATC 250R. Adding that will safely give you a bit more compression without having to use race fuel. Also if money allows a set of VForce reeds as well.
But again make sure engine is healthy; if adding anything or adding nothing to an unhealthy motor with lead to catastrophic failures. Good luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The only pain is your gonna have to change the pulse generator wires connector Green / white and blue / yellow wires are the same the connector is different. I'm not sure but should be able to remove the wires from the stator side and plug them into the early model plastic connector. Actually you could use a early model stator as well. What ever is easier and more cost effective for you. Probably gonna be tough to find just the connector. ATV guy might have one. The 85 head gasket is a good idea. Dont know how thick they are but you can buy a .010 " head gasket on ebay. I'm sure somebody has a junk early model stator kicking around that you could get a connector from. Either that or a early model stator. As far as jerry rigging it goes, could be done if you solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing i guess. Wouldn't really want to do it that way. Gots ta do what you gots to do though.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The only pain is your gonna have to change the pulse generator wires connector Green / white and blue / yellow wires are the same the connector is different. I'm not sure but should be able to remove the wires from the stator side and plug them into the early model plastic connector. Actually you could use a early model stator as well. What ever is easier and more cost effective for you. Probably gonna be tough to find just the connector. ATV guy might have one. The 85 head gasket is a good idea. Dont know how thick they are but you can buy a .010 " head gasket on ebay. I'm sure somebody has a junk early model stator kicking around that you could get a connector from. Either that or a early model stator. As far as jerry rigging it goes, could be done if you solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing i guess. Wouldn't really want to do it that way. Gots ta do what you gots to do though.
why do you make things hard?he doesn't have to change the wiring.he can use what he has.worts case he has to make ends for the stator to use his wiring.no need to swop anything out.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sincere apologies, Please forgive me. I am a wretch, i am a swine, i should be flogged. If you decide to try to make some kind of connector, make sure it doesn't come apart at the wrong time. Like on a steep hill. Also maybe you can change the connector on the harness side to a 88 if it's more convenient. Don't really know why but this comment reminds me of when John McCain ran for president. He said he was gonna build 45 new nuclear power plants. Ultimately wanted 100

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/us/politics/19nuke.html

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
just said you cant tell people they have to spend all this money and swop all these parts for nothing.if you want to help and give good info make sure you are right.
Sincere apologies, Please forgive me. I am a wretch, i am a swine, i should be flogged. If you decide to try to make some kind of connector, make sure it doesn't come apart at the wrong time. Like on a steep hill. Also maybe you can change the connector on the harness side to a 88 if it's more convenient. Don't really know why but this comment reminds me of when John McCain ran for president. He said he was gonna build 45 new nuclear power plants. Ultimately wanted 100

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/us/politics/19nuke.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts