Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 88 I picked up to try to restore apparently had some frame modifications done to it that I did not realize until partway through the resto project. Of course it was after the frame got blasted and powder coated and I started mounting OEM airbox/snorkels on it I realized something was not right. The previous TT racer had cut the upper shock mount off and welded a higher mount one.
Has anyone run into this before and been able to repair or find an original upper mount to weld back on? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated
frame.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 88 I picked up to try to restore apparently had some frame modifications done to it that I did not realize until partway through the resto project. Of course it was after the frame got blasted and powder coated and I started mounting OEM airbox/snorkels on it I realized something was not right. The previous TT racer had cut the upper shock mount off and welded a higher mount one.
Has anyone run into this before and been able to repair or find an original upper mount to weld back on? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated
View attachment 61403
Usually raising the upper rear shock mount is done so that a no-link set up can be used.....You can still use the shock mount with a linkage set up but a longer shock would be required....Or it was raised to lower the rear of the quad instead of using an adjustable link....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They apparently did it so that they can lower the rear and also eliminate the link. Here is the "before" picture of it before I disassembled everything and had it blasted and powder coated.
IMG_2237.JPG

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
yes and that is 100% wrong way to do a no link.only thing you might be able to do is either have a custom shock made or run oem shock and linkage with a adjustable dog bone to get the ride height right.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not sure about it necessarily being the wrong way as it does have an aftermarket shock and who knows if the shock was set up for the application.....I remember back in the day around the late 80's early 90's seeing this tried on a few quads.....

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
2 common no link shock lengths 18.5 and 15.5
Looks like they wanted the longer body shock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts