Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question but do any bearings fit in the bearing carrier? I have no idea what swingarm was installed on my R. If I submit a photo can someone maybe identify my swingarm and axle? Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, post pics of your setup to see if you have a stock or aftermarket bearing carrier.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's definitely an aftermarket carrier, not OEM.

I see that you have a RAD Mfg. lock-nut. First, check to see if you have a RAD Mfg. carrier - they engraved 'RAD' and the model number on the sprocket side, here's an example:

RAD Mfg. made a dual row carrier (model H-10) and a tapered bearing carrier (model H-9).

If it's NOT a RAD Mfg. carrier (most likely the case) or is a RAD Mfg. model H-10, then these should do the trick: All Balls Rear Carrier Bearing Upgrade Kit

If it's a RAD Mfg. model H-9, then you'll have to contact RAD Mfg. directly or pull the old tapered bearings out to see if you can find some identification to cross reference to other manufacturers/suppliers bearings.

Here's RAD Mfg's website for reference: Rad Mfg | Rad Manufacturing - Specialize in motocross hubs and ATV bearing carriers wheel sets complete with spokes and nipples Rad Mfg 2020

·
Registered
608 Posts
My mistake - apparently RPM made a tapered bearing carrier, too. I'm not as familiar with RPM carriers to distinguish the tapered version from the dual row version, so perhaps someone else can chime in.

I will say, it is highly likely that yours is the standard aftermarket dual row bearing carrier that A LOT of manufacturers have provided through the years. The All Balls replacement bearing link in my previous post will work for all of them, just not tapered bearings.

If you're willing to tear it apart, you'll be able to easily tell what style bearings you have, tapered or dual row. This is obviously the best way to confirm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks so much! I will check it out. Any idea what the swingarm is? Can I just purchase any carrier to go in it(worst case scenario)? Can we identify the axle the same way? So any bearings work in any carrier...or am i wrong? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
608 Posts
You have an aftermarket TRX250R swingarm. It looks to be an LSR, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you purchased a new carrier, I would recommend that you purchase one for a TRX250R. There's all kinds of aftermarket dual row bearing carriers out there. There are some dirt cheap ones on eBay and Amazon that I've heard people having luck with, but I haven't tried one (and I don't think that I ever would). I personally have an LSR dual row carrier.

I can't see the axle in your picture. I can only assume that it's a TRX250R. It doesn't matter if it's stock or aftermarket, though. Any TRX250R bearing carrier will work with a stock or aftermarket axle.

I hesitate stating this because I don't want to confuse you more, but you can run a 400EX bearing carrier and a 400EX axle on a TRX250R. In most instances the 400EX bearing carrier is the same as the TRX250R (most companies will even advertise them as fitting both). If you run a 400EX axle, though, you'll need to have 400EX or 450R hubs - TRX250R axle splines/hubs are different.

In my opinion, just stick to the TRX250R specific parts and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great! Alot of useful information. So any bearing carrier i purchase will work in the swingarm? If i purchase bearings and not a carrier i just want to make sure i get the correct ones being i am not 100% sure of the carrier make. Here is a pic of the axle. Why does someone have the hub spaced with lock washers?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your axle is aftermarket, maybe durablue.. There should be a steel spacer between the axle & hub certainly not lock washers. The purpose of the steel spacers is to be able to adjust your axles width. The most common axles are +2-+4.

·
Registered
608 Posts
So any bearing carrier i purchase will work in the swingarm?
Yes, any TRX250R bearing carrier will work.

If i purchase bearings and not a carrier i just want to make sure i get the correct ones being i am not 100% sure of the carrier make.
So long as you have a dual row bearing carrier (not tapered), any dual row bearing carrier replacement bearings will work. Note that I said dual row bearings, NOT single bearings, which are for OEM bearing carriers.

The All Balls link that I sent is what you want. I see that they're out of stock at RMATV, unfortunately. They're out of stock on All Balls website, too - 25-1401 | All Balls Racing

If you're in a rush, here's some other options that should work...

Dual Row Bearing Carrier Rebuild kit Honda TRX 400EX 400 EX TRX 250R | eBay

Honda TRX250R ATV Aftermarket Rad Lonestar Rear Wheel Carrier Bearing Seal Kit | eBay

Here is a pic of the axle. Why does someone have the hub spaced with lock washers?
No idea! As Scrappy mentioned, there should be spacers there instead.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone has been very helpful! I appreciate all the responses. Scrappy-what do your spacers look like? Can I just take all the washers out and install the hub that way?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Everyone has been very helpful! I appreciate all the responses. Scrappy-what do your spacers look like? Can I just take all the washers out and install the hub that way?
I went through my parts & was only able to find one hub spacer so I made a second one. It's raw steel so you'd have to paint it or coat it with something but send me a PM if you want them...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts