Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 86 R has a long rod crank in it. What piston should I be running in it with the long rod? I was thinking the 86 style piston with a plate on the cylinder. Not sure if Im correct any input would be great . thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
correct.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yes! '86 style cylinder with the 130.0mm long rod use a '86 style + 0.190" Aluminum Spacer + 2 base gaskets. Be sure to do a squish test (piece of "L" shaped lead solder inserted into the spark plug hole then crank over the motor so it squishes the solder at the edge of the cylinder....measure the thickness and make sure it's more than 0.038")

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! '86 style cylinder with the 130.0mm long rod use a '86 style + 0.190" Aluminum Spacer + 2 base gaskets. Be sure to do a squish test (piece of "L" shaped lead solder inserted into the spark plug hole then crank over the motor so it squishes the solder at the edge of the cylinder....measure the thickness and make sure it's more than 0.038")
Thank you for the info, The L shaped lead solder how big does it have to be and do I stick the spark plug back in while the L piece is in there? Does the L piece stick out of the spark plug hole ?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very true , one more question if my piston size reads 67.85mm I would need to buy a 68mm piston to replace it ????

·
Registered
286 Posts
yes. 68. is next size.

i have the best. bdt built engines.
bdt261 oem
bdt363 prox
bdt431 puma
bdt561 saber
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So my cylinder looks good no scratches or wear marks and my piston looked great besides the top. All I should have to do is hone the cylinder? If the piston that came out of it is 67.85mm the 68mm should slide right in correct?

·
Registered
83 Posts
very true , one more question if my piston size reads 67.85mm I would need to buy a 68mm piston to replace it ????
It depends on the condition of your current bore. If the cylinder is badly scored or out of round it will need to be bored & the next size up from 68mm (which would be 68.5mm) may be required.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
So my cylinder looks good no scratches or wear marks and my piston looked great besides the top. All I should have to do is hone the cylinder? If the piston that came out of it is 67.85mm the 68mm should slide right in correct?
Yes and No...:)

I (BDT Motorsports) would never just run a hone into a bore that has any significant run time, others might or will. Reason being BDT won't is because you don't know what you have unless the bore is accurately 'miked' with a bore gauge. And then only hone to clean up if the resulting new honed bore meets maximum bore diameter specifications. If you have a Honda service manual, you will note Honda has diameter tolerances for bore to piston sizes. 99.99% of the time, if you pass a hone on a bore that has more than 3-5 hours of run time, it will not clean up within Bore Diameter specifications...even a 'slight' clean up hone.

Best is to have your cylinder bore fully miked & inspected by a reputable machine shop or 2 stroke engine builder first, determine current bore size, and decide what to do based on measurements. Almost all the time you will need to go to the next bore size...in your case if you are at 68MM, the next standard bore would be 68.50MM...that will give you the correct & best results.

Carlos

1 - 12 of 12 Posts