Honda TRX250R Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Instead of tearing into my Dad's original untouched 86 engine, I ended up picking up an entire ESR 310 engine from a member here that was completely fresh from top to bottom, not even ran yet.

Everything was great about the transaction until I I took off the head to swap out the dome only to realize there was carbon on top of the piston - clearly NOT fresh. Aside from not being as fresh as it was described as, there were a few other little things that didn't line up with the initial description.

It turned out that the builder that did the work and assembled everything wasn't quite as honest as he should have been. The member had never looked into the engine (why would he) or ran it after he received it from the builder (it had been sitting on the bench for a build he never completed). I don't blame the member/seller, I blame the original dishonest builder that said he did things that he never actually did. Thankfully, the member went out of his way to make everything right and refunded a portion of my money to get everything addressed.

Here's what I'm starting with:

Registered
Discussion Starter #42
I had originally planned on just running it as-is, but since I really wanted the engine to be as fresh and new as the rest of the build, I've having a bit more work done to it.

I took the cylinder off and had it vapor blasted by DBC Racing before dropping it off with Bob at RB Racing to work his magic on the previous TRX7 porting. He's also boring the cylinder to the next size up and cutting a custom race gas dome. It's annoying to have to fix someone else's dishonesty, but I'll be much happier in the long run knowing that it's done right. And let's be honest, it was a great excuse to get some more power out of this cylinder ;)馃

Registered
Yea very nice. Seems we hear these stories all to often about buying a fresh motor or quad, and someone getting had. Good thing you pulled the head and got some cash back. Always nice knowing what you got for that piece of mind. 馃憤馃嵒

Registered
Tough situation for sure! Cool that you got some money back, but unfortunate for the seller that he was screwed by the engine builder. Hopefully he can get reimbursed by the builder if in fact he was screwed over.
Your build is looking great. Keep up the good work!
Loren

Reactions: bushwesl

Registered
I had originally planned on just running it as-is, but since I really wanted the engine to be as fresh and new as the rest of the build, I've having a bit more work done to it.

I took the cylinder off and had it vapor blasted by DBC Racing before dropping it off with Bob at RB Racing to work his magic on the previous TRX7 porting. He's also boring the cylinder to the next size up and cutting a custom race gas dome. It's annoying to have to fix someone else's dishonesty, but I'll be much happier in the long run knowing that it's done right. And let's be honest, it was a great excuse to get some more power out of this cylinder ;)馃
Unfortunately, there are a lot of 鈥榰nknowns鈥 when purchasing used engines; the builds are almost never as described by the seller. My conclusion over the years is that a lot of sellers suffer what I call 鈥渄egenerated convenient loss of memory鈥 鈥. good that you got to fix and rebuild correctly.

Carlos

Registered
Sorry to hear about the engine debacle but good catch. It's usually safe to assume an engine isn't fresh regardless unless you personally know the seller & or the engine's history.... I picked up a cherry 83 xl200 from my cousin many years ago with a new left case half & fresh top end built by a "bike mechanic". The piston was installed backwards & the alignment dowel on the inner cam race was cocked & out of alignment but the head was tightened down anyway. There were a few other problems so from that point on I always figured it would be a good idea to open up new engines & check them out...... Have fun with the build, it's turning out beautifully!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts