Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About a year and half ago we unexpectedly lost my Dad to melanoma (wear sunscreen and go to a dermatologist, people!). After his passing, I inherited his '86 TRX250R, the 250R that I grew up idolizing as a kid. It's 98% stock and exactly the way that it was when he first bought it 25 years ago. He wasn't big into upgrades or modifications; keeping it stock was just how he was.

Now that it's mine, I'd like to refresh/upgrade it and ultimately keep it. It's in pretty good condition, but after ~34 years it's time for a ground up rebuild.

I've had a couple of pretty respectable 250Rs in the past, so I'm not unfamiliar with the territory. Although, it's been about a decade since I've really been involved with the 250R community and riding in general. I sold the last bit of anything 250R related that I owned back in 2015. Now I'm kicking myself since 250R parts are even harder to come by and more expensive than ever.

When deciding how to handle this build, I was torn. Part of me wanted to keep it stock like my Dad had it, while the other part of me wanted to go crazy on mods and upgrades. As you all know, these things can easily be so much better than they are in stock form. And, not to mention, it's a helluva lot of fun building them :)

I finally settled on a combination. My goal is to keep it stock-ish looking (emphasis on the -ish), refurbishing components that I can, and upgrading everything else. It's not going to be exactly what my Dad would have wanted for himself, but I'd like to think that he's happy seeing how much I'm enjoying something that was once his.

The purpose of this discussion is to document my build and progress along the way.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is the day that I brought it back to my house from my parents. I had originally intended to do the bare minimum to get it back in working order as it had been sitting for the past several years. Fresh gas and new fluids; new plug; cleaned the carb and air filter - started on the second kick! :eek:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires that it had were pretty bad - minimal tread, dry rotted, and they wouldn't hold air. Actually, these tires were the only ones I ever remember my Dad having on it...

I picked up a set of ITP Holeshot GNCC tires front and back.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
At this point, I could have just left it alone. It was in pretty good original shape and it ran well.

I couldn't help myself. COVID-19 hit and I needed a project, and so began the tear down.

In addition to the tear down, I started ordering parts. A lot of parts.

Thankfully I was able to find many components used on the forums, Facebook groups, and eBay. I also picked up several new parts from various companies, including BDT. Thank you, Carlos, for having so many OEM and aftermarket parts readily available! Not to mention at reasonable prices and fast shipping!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plan is go to for a stock-ish (again, emphasis on the -ish) 86/87 look, but instead of red, white, and blue with gold components, I'm going with red, white, and black with black components, plus some chrome and polished aluminum for good measure. Sorry guys (and Dad), the 86/87 gold just isn't for me.

After complete disassembly, I sent everything to DBC Racing for sand blasting, Pumashine gusset kit installation (more on that determination here: Opinion - Frame Gusseting), and powder coating. DBC Racing also talked me into vapor blasting some aluminum parts, which turned out AMAZING.

I was super fortunate to find DBC Racing. If you ever need anything 250R related, Blake is your guy.

Frame heading off to sand blasting and gusset kit installation:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For powder coat colors, I went with Red Baron with a gloss clear coat and matte black.

I'm picking everything up tomorrow, but here are a few teaser pics that DBC Racing sent :love: Don't mind some of the Instagram shots :LOL:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good looking welds. I’m do for some fresh powder will probably add gusset kit at that time. Good luck on your build. Looks like you are headed the right direction. What are your plans for the engine?? 🍻

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good looking welds. I’m do for some fresh powder will probably add gusset kit at that time. Good luck on your build. Looks like you are headed the right direction. What are your plans for the engine?? 🍻
Thanks!

That’s a great question. For now the engine is untouched. To be honest, I still don’t know exactly what I want to do with it :confused:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One option is just a pipe and good port job. Maybe some reeds. Could maintain the stockish look and pack 450 killing power.
For sure. Even though I don’t know exactly what I’m doing with it, I’ve got a few things in the works ;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I haven't done a good job of timely updates, but I've certainly made some progress over the last few weeks. Having a 6-month old (our first child) hasn't helped either.

Where do I start... I mentioned before that I had a few things vapor blasted. I was skeptical at first, but wow, I'm impressed. The parts come out like they're brand new and the finish doesn't seem to be impacted by grease, etc. If you're considering to have aluminum parts vapor blasted, I'd fully recommend doing it. So far, I've had my linkage dog bone, calipers, throttle, and front/rear master cylinders done. Although, I think that I'm going to paint or PC the throttle and front master cylinder covers for contrast.

Here's some pics of freshly rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, throttle, and dog bone.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad, I know as many do how hard it is. (,,I was 16 when my dad died of a heart attach, and 24 when my stepfather committed suicide).
Good luck with the R, your doing your dad proud!!
+ 1 on anti-seize and chasing threads, I would use some blue Loktite to keep important nuts n bolts in place.
Looking great man!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great! Your project is coming along nicely. Remember to chase all the holes in whatever parts you had PC'd & use anti-sieze on all the fasteners
Sorry to hear about your dad, I know as many do how hard it is. (,,I was 16 when my dad died of a heart attach, and 24 when my stepfather committed suicide).
Good luck with the R, your doing your dad proud!!
+ 1 on anti-seize and chasing threads, I would use some blue Loktite to keep important nuts n bolts in place.
Looking great man!!
Thanks, guys! Yes, I'm definitely using anti-seize and Loctite throughout. I haven't really used anti-seize too much in the past. That shit gets everywhere!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rebuilt front hubs with new brake rotors. The 86/87 rotors were nearly impossible to find. I finally found someone who had a whole replacement set, front and rear, from EBC.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here’s the start of getting it back together.
  • LSR +2" wide, +1" forward standard travel a-arms
  • LSR -1" swingarm (stock 88/89 length)
  • LSR stock length stem
  • PEP PB-1 front shocks
  • Wicked Metal Designs pegs
  • AC Racing bumper & grab bar

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a GPI radiator from ebay. The 86/87 style radiator does not fit like it's supposed to on an 86 frame; the bottom outlet runs right into the frame rail. I was able to heat it up and bend it to make it work. I’d recommend the 88/89 style with the straight inlet/outlet to avoid the same issue for anyone looking to purchase one.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts