Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 ATC 250R YZ250 motor
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wondering if this would be a suitable custom swap. I heard the trx 6 speed box is not favourable due to short ratios so swapping into an atc may change the riding feel and experience. I’ve currently got a highly modified yz250 (water cooled) motor fitted and its been a blast but I’d rather to have a Honda motor but can’t find any atc 250r motor in sensible price range. If the gearbox on trx is an issue, can the gears be upgraded with aftermarket parts? Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
This all sounds very expensive. Is there any reason why the TRX engine is cheaper than an ATC engine? The ATC transmission gearing (if it is in fact different) would be more suitable for what you're trying. Just curious.

If it's the gearing you are interested in, I would think that you could swap the transmission gears between the two as long as you do it in matched pairs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm pretty sure the transmissions in the 86 ATC and 86 TRX are identical. 6th gear in both are a kind of overdrive--too tall--so in 87 Honda lowered 6th gear making it closer to 5th. I think the only difference between the two is the compression ratio, they lowered it on the TRX a bit with a different head or gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts