Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been quite awhile since I've posted. I'm back at the seemingly never ending "OEM-inspired" restoration of my 1986 TRX250R.

I've been freshening up all the rear suspension components including vapor honing and replating the shock and rear suspension components. See the pic of the nearly complete rear shock rebuild. Lots of tedious work to restore the remote reservoir hose by plating the ends.

Now I'm on the shock linkage components. The dog bone was easy because it's aluminum and turned out great from the vapor hone. Where I'm stuck now is I'm not sure what color the linkage was from the factory. Some used linkages I have seen online appear to have a dark plating. Mine is pretty corroded, so I'm not sure. I have the Caswell equipment to replate in bright zinc, and do various chromates like olive green, yellow, and black.

Any help appreciated on what color plating should be done for an OE look on the linkage.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all, been quite awhile since I've posted. I'm back at the seemingly never ending "OEM-inspired" restoration of my 1986 TRX250R.

I've been freshening up all the rear suspension components including vapor honing and replating the shock and rear suspension components. See the pic of the nearly complete rear shock rebuild. Lots of tedious work to restore the remote reservoir hose by plating the ends.

Now I'm on the shock linkage components. The dog bone was easy because it's aluminum and turned out great from the vapor hone. Where I'm stuck now is I'm not sure what color the linkage was from the factory. Some used linkages I have seen online appear to have a dark plating. Mine is pretty corroded, so I'm not sure. I have the Caswell equipment to replate in bright zinc, and do various chromates like olive green, yellow, and black.

Any help appreciated on what color plating should be done for an OE look on the linkage.

Thanks!
When I restored mine it was a dull gold zinc look. I'm sure was a bit brighter when new. But I powder coated mine. I'm restoring an 86 r but other than red frame and white fenders I'm going for a racier look

1 - 3 of 3 Posts