Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put on a new pair of MX tires, but I have a 9" rear wheel. I have noticed that most 18" tires are for 8" wheels. Should I get new 8" wheels, or are the 9" OK? The only difference that I can think of is that the 8" wheel may be a bit less harsh...and obviously my tire brand choice would be much more expanded for an 8" wheel. I only ride for fun, so if it's not a critical difference, then I'd like to stick with my 9" wheels. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If your just out for fun on the track it most likely wont matter. When i raced we used to use a heat knife and cut tires to the track conditions. But seems like todays tires are very well rounded i still use mx tires on when even riding trails. What options do you have for brands?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
If your just riding for fun then I wouldn't spend the extra money on 8" whee b/c difference isn't huge and definitely not big enough to justify hundreds of dollars. Main difference between the 2 sizes is a lower center of gravity which equals a little bit better handling, little less top heavy which means you can roll into turns a little faster and slide around turns a bit better with more confidence. 8" wheels ultimately are definitely the best/most desired choice for mx but not a crazy difference if just riding for fun.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I like 9" wheels the most because they are the best overall size. Ridable for all types of riding. And quad handles very well with them. Thats my opinion. Other guys may think different though.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I am looking to put on a new pair of MX tires, but I have a 9" rear wheel. I have noticed that most 18" tires are for 8" wheels. Should I get new 8" wheels, or are the 9" OK? The only difference that I can think of is that the 8" wheel may be a bit less harsh...and obviously my tire brand choice would be much more expanded for an 8" wheel. I only ride for fun, so if it's not a critical difference, then I'd like to stick with my 9" wheels. What do you think? Thanks in advance.
Best choice is an 18x10-9 tire for what you're looking to do. Ambush is a very good tire that offers a real meaty tread pattern that is good for pretty much everything in that tire size. I've seen them at Dennis Kirk for a very good price. ITP and Maxxis also offer tires in those sizes. I have a set of ITP Holeshot MXR6 that are 18x10-9 that I know are very good, but they are soft and I can't say I'd recommend them for heavy trail riding because I don't believe they are as puncture resistant as the Ambush would be.

ITP Holeshot MXR6 18x10-9

CST Ambush 18x10-9

Maxxis Razr 18x10-9

If your just riding for fun then I wouldn't spend the extra money on 8" whee b/c difference isn't huge and definitely not big enough to justify hundreds of dollars. Main difference between the 2 sizes is a lower center of gravity which equals a little bit better handling.........
The rim size doesn't do anything for your center of gravity if you're running the same size tire. The outside diameter of the tire decides your center of gravity, so if he runs 18x10-8 or 18x10-9, his center of gravity is the same.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. And I agree with you Scott about the holeshot mxr6 being a real good tire but best suited for track only definitely not woods or trail b/c of the thin ply design which is I believe 2 ply. And ambush is a great option for trail as well as maxxis. I'm a big maxxis fan in the trail dept. They offer great mx and trail tires. In the end you can't go wrong with a 9 inch wheel b/c of all the options.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive ran my mx holeshots mxr6's for the trails here in michigan theres not alot of rocks were we ride though so maybe thats why ive never had a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only problem you will have with an 18-10-9 over an 18-10-8 is that the 9" tire will have less sidewall as opposed to the 8". If your riding in rocky terrain it might do more rim damage.other than that no major difference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had mxr6s on my R i think its been 10 years now and after an air pressure mistake and riding in the woods the tread finally gave out on me, so i ordered some dual bead lock hypers for a couple reasons, one the woods/rocks beat my douglas wheels to death, wanted bead locks for looks/woods/rocks. I put new mxr6s but only rode once so far on them mainly because my front suspension beat the hell out of me and messed up my shoulder and i was a little hesitant beating on the hypers being their material i was a little nervous at first. After going through the woods which unfortunately are filled with many many many rocks and i took out a couple small stumps i am more than happy to say the mxr6's wrapped on the hypers hold up in the woods just fine. My luck somebody will buy some now go in the woods and pop them lol but i dunno to me they have been great in the woods its the only tire i will run i have rode rzrs and had a set on my 400 and hated them but its all personal opinion from one rider to the next.

Hopefully i didn't deviate too much from the original question just giving some feedback on the mxr6s

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. And I agree with you Scott about the holeshot mxr6 being a real good tire but best suited for track only definitely not woods or trail b/c of the thin ply design which is I believe 2 ply. And ambush is a great option for trail as well as maxxis. I'm a big maxxis fan in the trail dept. They offer great mx and trail tires. In the end you can't go wrong with a 9 inch wheel b/c of all the options.
About 15 years ago I got a imitation holeshots tires with a 4 ply for 30 bucks a tire at farm&fleet.
No joke but like I said that was 15 years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts