Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw that someone here said the 400EX bumper will go on the R, but the R bumper won't go on the 400EX. True.

I was looking for a good bumper for the R, and after reading that, I took the chance on a TAG front. It came in, and it didn't bolt right up. Didn't really expect it to, knowing the R bumper won't go on the EX.
Here's the deal: the bottom mounts required 17.5mm of spacers to bolt on tight, and the uppers required 13mm of spacers. I stacked stainless washers in there to get the spacing. Once the bottom was bolted up, the uppers were about 3/8" too low to bolt up into the frame mounts. I let the bumper hang down, and tweaked the uppers with a few light hits from a plastic deadblow hammer. Hit it a few times, flip it up and check it, hit it a few more, etc. Came out perfect, and it didn't distort the tubes or crack any welds. Worked like a charm. If anybody is curious, it certainly can be done, and it's not a difficult job by any means. Have at it. Here's a couple pics of the spacers (washers) and the bumper itself:

·
Registered
38 Posts
That explains why my AC bumper fit like crap on my R. AC being the smart/cheap company they are, sent me a 400ex bumper. I thought it was their poor quality but this makes more sense. I have the exact same space between my bumper and frame but had some aluminum spacers made.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That explains why my AC bumper fit like crap on my R. AC being the smart/cheap company they are, sent me a 400ex bumper. I thought it was their poor quality but this makes more sense. I have the exact same space between my bumper and frame but had some aluminum spacers made.

sadly it probably was a 250r bumper. AC products fit very poorly.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
looks good from here .. ;)
btw keep an eye on the stainless hardware in the a arms there soft & they like to bend :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good from here .. ;)
btw keep an eye on the stainless hardware in the a arms there soft & they like to bend :(
I'll eyeball it, man - thanks for the heads up. Those were in it when I picked it up, so I left them in there. I'll take the stock bolts with me when I take it out. This one is nothing but a duner, so I hope it won't see any MX-type abuse, but I can sure be an idiot on the sand, too - we'll see what happens.

You guys might hate this, but I take the LTR out on the MX track. :p I know for sure I won't be able to resist taking this to the track, but it won't be in a race, just out there to check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts