Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to posting but not this site lots of good info here and happy to now be a part of the 250r community. Any ways I got first R back in October. It has a 330 ESR kit in it. Won’t hit power band. After jetting and messing around It just won’t hit. Starts first kick idles and good through mid. So I did comp test and get 150 to 155 tested warm and wide open. After pulling the cool head It has a “330 Race“ dome. Cylinder walls and dome look good. Things I have done since purchasing are. Repack the FMF turbine core, esr airbox delete, exhaust flange, ESR reed cage and pedals, sealed the LRD pipe, new coil (oem), and lots of plugs. It seems like this could be like opening a can of worms. But I’m ready for the challenge. Any comments or options on which way to go would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh yea current jetting is 50 pilot 178 main and dgh needle on clip 2 at 3200 feet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s looks like stock. I went through the harness after I got it. The key and headlight switch are gone has toggle switch for a led light bar. I did check flywheel pulled to shake test very slight rattle. I guess I’ll be busting out the ohm meter and manual. Really don’t want to buy more oem parts as they are spendy and rare. Anyone know where I can get aCR harness? Would like to keep lights but then again be nice if it would just run. Thanks again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking about going to the CR. From what I have gathered it seems to be a good upgrade besides the price.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Then you would need a complete ignition system.flywheel,stator,cdi,coil and harness as well as an adaptor plate for the stator.Those plates are sold by esr or bdt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s fine I’ve seen a few on flea bay for around 6 to 800. For a complete take off. But I don’t like the idea of possibly getting a bad unit(ripped off). Just don’t what way to go. Will doing a squish test this afternoon and possibly a UCCR. Is there a way to bump up comp. the ESR cool head is oring. Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
I’m new to posting but not this site lots of good info here and happy to now be a part of the 250r community. Any ways I got first R back in October. It has a 330 ESR kit in it. Won’t hit power band. After jetting and messing around It just won’t hit. Starts first kick idles and good through mid. So I did comp test and get 150 to 155 tested warm and wide open. After pulling the cool head It has a “330 Race“ dome. Cylinder walls and dome look good. Things I have done since purchasing are. Repack the FMF turbine core, esr airbox delete, exhaust flange, ESR reed cage and pedals, sealed the LRD pipe, new coil (oem), and lots of plugs. It seems like this could be like opening a can of worms. But I’m ready for the challenge. Any comments or options on which way to go would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh yea current jetting is 50 pilot 178 main and dgh needle on clip 2 at 3200 feet.
As Martin stated; 15-155 lbs compression is low, and electrical issues like a bad or weak CDI can cause the engine not to perform....I would start with checking all electrical(s) with an OHM meter to Honda specification per manual....and/or barrow a good known used OEM IGN setup to swap & test with. It could also be the Pipe; not all pipes are compatible with all setups...as well as porting, squish, UCCR, ect...

That’s fine I’ve seen a few on flea bay for around 6 to 800. For a complete take off. But I don’t like the idea of possibly getting a bad unit(ripped off). Just don’t what way to go. Will doing a squish test this afternoon and possibly a UCCR. Is there a way to bump up comp. the ESR cool head is oring. Thanks for all input.
Squish test, UCCR is the place to start and determine what you have....start their and post results. I don't suggest you purchase used 250R Electronics, never know what you will get, IMO it is best to go with Honda New CR250R IGN, however; these complete 100% Honda OEM units are pricey at $949.98.

Carlos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here we go. Squish was .0610 inches
I can’t access certain parts of the site for UUCR full instructions. but I got this far. Filled to bottom of plug threads with the head level at TDC holds 25cc of mystery oil. The bore is 75.10 mm. And the stroke is 72.14 mm. Now maybe someone could help me out with the math. I’m going to post a few pics of the cylinder wall. I stated earlier that it looked ok. Upon further inspection I noticed some scoring. One spot almost catches a finger nail. So where from here to go.also I attached pic of intake and what I could get off exhaust without taking cylinder off. And the last plug I tested with gapped at .18. I really appreciate all the help from everyone on this site.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Ok here we go. Squish was .0610 inches
I can’t access certain parts of the site for UUCR full instructions. but I got this far. Filled to bottom of plug threads with the head level at TDC holds 25cc of mystery oil. The bore is 75.10 mm. And the stroke is 72.14 mm. Now maybe someone could help me out with the math. I’m going to post a few pics of the cylinder wall. I stated earlier that it looked ok. Upon further inspection I noticed some scoring. One spot almost catches a finger nail. So where from here to go.also I attached pic of intake and what I could get off exhaust without taking cylinder off. And the last plug I tested with gapped at .18. I really appreciate all the help from everyone on this site.
You're Dome CC's are off, needs to be "Flat Plate" Volume.
You also need to know Piston Dome Volume...
.018" Spark Gap is good
The scoring marks on the cylinder wall indicate a mild seizure...pull cylinder and inspect piston. If it was at BDT Motorsports; it would get bored and honed to new piston size at 75.50MM.

See if pics show up
For UCCR:

75MM x 75MM x .7854 x 72MM = 318.087CC
Dome = 32CC (assume it’s ‘Flat Plate’ Volume)
Piston Dome Value for 75MM piston = ? (let’s use 7CC as an example)

32CC Flat Plate CC – 7CC Dome CC = 25CC Trapped Volume CC @ TDC

318.087 Swept Volume + 25CC Trapped Volume/25CC Trapped Volume @ TDC = 13.7/1

I do believe from experience some of your numbers posted are incorrect, however; use the formula I posted above, and plug in the new numbers. Hope this helps...

Carlos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply Carlos. I would almost bet I did something wrong. I found receipt in a box of parts that came with quad. It’s from ESR and was a 75.5 mm wiesco piston and a race dome. The same had an old dome that was pre det. pretty bad. So if had to guess it blew and he put same piston and new dome in and that’s where I’m at. Also box of parts has another jug and head LRD 20cc scribed on head no dome. Also has detonation bad. Will be pulling cylinder tonight to inspect. Will be calling bdt today. I have called and emailed ESR a bunch with no reply or answer he currently owes me 88 bucks for an intake that was returned in November. Thanks again for all input.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Thanks for the reply Carlos. I would almost bet I did something wrong. I found receipt in a box of parts that came with quad. It’s from ESR and was a 75.5 mm wiesco piston and a race dome. The same had an old dome that was pre det. pretty bad. So if had to guess it blew and he put same piston and new dome in and that’s where I’m at. Also box of parts has another jug and head LRD 20cc scribed on head no dome. Also has detonation bad. Will be pulling cylinder tonight to inspect. Will be calling bdt today. I have called and emailed ESR a bunch with no reply or answer he currently owes me 88 bucks for an intake that was returned in November. Thanks again for all input.
Call my cell, leave a message if I don't answer, I usually call back within 1-2 hours. I PM'd you my cell...

Carlos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright got the cylinder off and wow what a mess. I was riding a time bomb. Anyways here some pics of the piston and cylinder and some of crank. I know the top end is cooked. I’m this far mines well get a crank to. Yea? Thank you Carlos for your time today. This top end is headed your way tomorrow.
61F74DB7-A088-4260-A72B-17A5E4F338F0.jpeg E7021367-15FA-4FE7-82D6-43D13897DA23.jpeg EA88FA80-2208-4D3F-AEC5-47D35CD92AF4.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here’s a couple more pics. The wrist pin was stuck had to tap it out. And this spacer plate wow I don’t know how it’s was bored but damn it’s horrible. Also found a crack in piston. Buyers beware. I got this off of Craigslist. The guy said it was just rebuilt had two rides on it. I don’t even know how it ran. I’m just shocked.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Alright got the cylinder off and wow what a mess. I was riding a time bomb. Anyways here some pics of the piston and cylinder and some of crank. I know the top end is cooked. I’m this far mines well get a crank to. Yea? Thank you Carlos for your time today. This top end is headed your way tomorrow.
View attachment 62201 View attachment 62203 View attachment 62205
Here’s a couple more pics. The wrist pin was stuck had to tap it out. And this spacer plate wow I don’t know how it’s was bored but damn it’s horrible. Also found a crack in piston. Buyers beware. I got this off of Craigslist. The guy said it was just rebuilt had two rides on it. I don’t even know how it ran. I’m just shocked.
View attachment 62207 View attachment 62209 View attachment 62211
Certainly she was damaged, good you stopped running her before something let go. Always beware of used sales on eBay, Craigslist, FB, SM...if you don't know the seller, caution is a must.

Carlos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is an up date if anyone was wondering. The complete bottom end are headed to bdt for case boring and crank inspection. The cylinder and head are there. Looking forward to working with BDT on this 250r. Also a thanks to everyone on this forum. Here are some pics of the 330

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solid west coast quad. I changed all bushings and bearings on the complete chassis. Had a arms re powdered. Went through swing arm and polished with RPM carrier. I threw on some candy like rpm shrouds and some works triple rate shocks. Alba 450r front bumper and pro design shifter. With a full BDT motor this thing is gonna rip.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts