Honda TRX250R Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nice 88 250R and found out it has a first gen CT pro x 310 kit on it originally bought for and 85 250R. Looking for input on these big bore kits now days and which ones are good and bad. I'm hearing ESR's quality has gone way down on their stuff. I've been out of the 250R market for 20yrs so lost track of everything.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Nice top end!
id just keep what u got unless going 350/370

·
Registered
287 Posts
ESR's quality has gone up. Eddie recently developed an entire new top end with a reverse flow coolant path. ESR produces a cylinder a working man can afford. Be sure to have a top notch engine builder do your port work. I personally use Pete at Hybrid Engineering. He is a no bs guy that will give you a reliable engine. ESR also does custom porting and Don't forget Arlen at LED. Good luck

Reactions: scrappy and douglas

·
Registered
611 Posts
ESR's quality is nothing to worry about. There may have been a few problems years ago with cooling, but I haven't read any complaints recently. Arlan at LED is now selling ESR cylinders and I doubt he would do that if he didn't have confidence in their quality.

·
Registered
13,056 Posts
Just picked up a nice 88 250R and found out it has a first gen CT pro x 310 kit on it originally bought for and 85 250R. Looking for input on these big bore kits now days and which ones are good and bad. I'm hearing ESR's quality has gone way down on their stuff. I've been out of the 250R market for 20yrs so lost track of everything.
As long as you not just buying a finished cylinder kit to bolt on and go...No worries on QC, as long as your using a reputable builder to finish the cylinder work; boring, honing, porting, flow, ect...any of the aftermarket BB cylinders will be fine. Perform your due diligence, search on brands and builders...a ton on this forum alone.

At the end of the day, it's all about matched combinations, setup and the engine work performed, and not about brands.

Carlos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big bore kits

As long as you not just buying a finished cylinder kit to bolt on and go...No worries on QC, as long as your using a reputable builder to finish the cylinder work; boring, honing, porting, flow, ect...any of the aftermarket BB cylinders will be fine. Perform your due diligence, search on brands and builders...a ton on this forum alone.

At the end of the day, it's all about matched combinations, setup and the engine work performed, and not about brands.

Carlos

Thanks for the info Carlos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts