Honda TRX250R Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
RB Racing finished up my engine. He didn't do too much to it porting wise, as the port timings were already pretty aggressive from ESR. However, he did adjust the spacer plate and gaskets to make sure everything was setup properly. Once I got the engine back I swapped out the OEM stator for the DRW Zeeltronic ignition/stator. I'm hoping this ignition is everything they say it is.
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Flag of the united states

Automotive tire Gas Automotive design Machine Font

· Super Moderator
137 Posts
RB Racing finished up my engine. He didn't do too much to it porting wise, as the port timings were already pretty aggressive from ESR. However, he did adjust the spacer plate and gaskets to make sure everything was setup properly. Once I got the engine back I swapped out the OEM stator for the DRW Zeeltronic ignition/stator. I'm hoping this ignition is everything they say it is.
View attachment 66592
View attachment 66591
Look over the single connectors real good they suck and we’re not crimped well. I re did all of mine with weather proof ones.

· Registered
1986 250R
247 Posts
But the mudddd… 😂😂😂.
Looks like you’re having a great time and enjoying your project. Looking forward to the other one being finished.

I cant wait to see how you make out fitting the oem scoop under those new plastics. I bought new rears but refurbed my front oem but now I’m noticing a lot of little cracks and spiders appearing, but I just can’t pull the trigger on those maier fronts, I think they are flimsy and the fitment is terrible.
Had another set of graphics made but I ultimately may go all fullbore ☹

Keep us posted on the progress

· Registered
411 Posts
I have the OEM hood and raidator scoops fitted with Maier plastics. I don't remember any hangups with the fitting whatsoever. It has been 20 years though so I may have forgot. Maier plastics really do last but the boot scratches are starting to really build up on the rears. If I wasn't so sloppy when getting off and on I bet it wouldn't be as bad.

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I cant wait to see how you make out fitting the oem scoop under those new plastics. I bought new rears but refurbed my front oem but now I’m noticing a lot of little cracks and spiders appearing, but I just can’t pull the trigger on those maier fronts, I think they are flimsy and the fitment is terrible.
Had another set of graphics made but I ultimately may go all fullbore ☹
I have the OEM hood and raidator scoops fitted with Maier plastics. I don't remember any hangups with the fitting whatsoever.
Actually, the fitment isn't terrible, considering I'm attempting to mate up multiple aftermarket parts - Maier front/rear fenders, Fourwerx hood, IMS 4 gal tank, etc. The biggest issue is trying to make the OEM black air dam work. If I didn't want to use the air dam then the install would have been much, much easier. Here's the instructions for reference:
Font Parallel Map Paper Paper product

There are two brackets that you add for the 86/87 air dam; the 88/89 isn't an option. The two brackets secure the air dam in the rear only and there isn't anything that actually connects the air dam to the front plastics. I really had to hack up my air dam to get all of the supplied Maier brackets to sit into position and get it all to work together. It wasn't a big deal for me since I already hacked mine up to fit with the shock tower gusset, but it may be for others. Here's the hacked up air dam and with it sitting into place.
Finger Bumper Wood Eyewear Tints and shades

Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Composite material Metal

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Tire White Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I was finally able to get it to sit pretty well. I still might tweak it a little bit and also add a couple of zip ties to hold the air dam to the front fenders someway, which I hope will take up the rest of the gaps that can be seen. From a distance, it doesn't look too bad.
Hood Automotive tire Light Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Hood Automotive tire Light Blue

Grille Hood Blue Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The rest of the fitment is pretty good. There is one spot where the rears meet the front that I plan on shaving down the rears some to hopefully allow them to mate together better.
Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sleeve Jersey

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Looks awesome, glad you got the dam to work out. Do the dam grommets still pop into the frame standoffs?
If you didn’t use the dam, how stable are the plastics
Thanks! Yes, the air dam is secured with the grommets to the frame in the front and then in the rear with the L-brackets provided by Maier. The air dam isn’t actually secured to the front plastic at all. That’s what was so hard with trying to get it to fit together and look right, because the front plastic is ‘floating’ above the air dam. I’m going to see if I can at least zip tie it in the front to better hold it together as one unit (like the OEM). It is secure, though, and not flimsy at all. I still need to get the lower fender brackets on, which will only make it sturdier. I’ll try to get some more pictures to show all of the mounting locations the next time I’m working on it.

· Super Moderator
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Unfortunately, I’m going to have some intake issues to figure out with this setup.

First, the carb is positioned directly into the frame. My ESR E1 cylinder on my red R didn’t have any issues like this, so there must be some slight intake geometry changes on the ESR E2 cylinders. I have a Sonny Fricia intake coming to hopefully correct the issue.
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Auto part Automotive exterior

Second is the intake boot and airbox, as both hit the shock. I’ve got a pretty good idea how I’m going to reposition the airbox further back, but the intake tube is going to be tricky. I found a company that only deals in intakes and intake accessories, so I’ve got a few different silicone couplers, reducers, and intake tubes to see what I can piece together. I’m hopeful that I can make something work, as there aren’t any off the shelf options any more. And the guys that built custom no-link intake setups aren’t getting back to me, unfortunately.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts