Honda TRX250R Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased my first 250r. Wanted an more original 250r but I liked the way it felt so I picked it up. Has an 89 cr500 motor in it. Wasnt done the best but had some nice stuff on it. My question is how difficult would it be to swap it back to the 250r motor? I don't really wanna sell it and buy another one. Figured I could recoup some of the money selling my 500 motor. I knew vibration and such would be an issue. It doesn't bother me to much honestly but it's a PITA to start. Makes it more difficult to buy parts and everything. I'd rather just have a 250r. Any helpful info would be great. I'll try to link some pics.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive exhaust

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
505 Posts
Nice find for sure. Hate to see you undo, the work it took to make this beast. Before you tear it out, put a 15 tooth on the front and go rip and report. You might change your mind. 😉

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice find for sure. Hate to see you undo, the work it took to make this beast. Before you tear it out, put a 15 tooth on the front and go rip and report. You might change your mind. 😉
It's cool but I don't wanna be breaking stuff all the time. Would like to be able to go ride for the day and not worry about anything. Been debating what I wanna do with it the last few days. If I keep it I'd like a custom exhaust, redo all motor mounts with polyurethane and air striker carb. But I wasn't sure how hard it would be to go back to a 250. What do you think I could get for the cr500 engine?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Since it's an '86 Frame....switching it back to the 250R engine shouldn't be difficult at all....You will have to find the Front Motor Mounts, upper engine and the Rear engine mount....Easy to find on Ebay....Has the Stock Lower mount been cut out and refabricated ? I think that would be the only tough spot.....everything else should be bolt on! Have you sourced a TRX250R Engine ? Keep us posted on your progress. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts