88 Frame - modified upper shock mount
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FerrinMotorsports

Thread: 88 Frame - modified upper shock mount

88 Frame - modified upper shock mount

The 88 I picked up to try to restore apparently had some frame modifications done to it that I did not realize until partway through the resto project. Of course it was after the frame got blasted and powder coated and I started mounting OEM airbox/snorkels on it I realized something was not right. The previous TT racer had cut the upper shock mount off and welded a higher mount one.
    Has anyone run into this before and been able to repair or find an original upper mount to weld back on? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	61403

Senior Member FerrinMotorsports's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The 88 I picked up to try to restore apparently had some frame modifications done to it that I did not realize until partway through the resto project. Of course it was after the frame got blasted and powder coated and I started mounting OEM airbox/snorkels on it I realized something was not right. The previous TT racer had cut the upper shock mount off and welded a higher mount one.
    Has anyone run into this before and been able to repair or find an original upper mount to weld back on? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	61403
    Usually raising the upper rear shock mount is done so that a no-link set up can be used.....You can still use the shock mount with a linkage set up but a longer shock would be required....Or it was raised to lower the rear of the quad instead of using an adjustable link....
    american opel likes this.

They apparently did it so that they can lower the rear and also eliminate the link. Here is the "before" picture of it before I disassembled everything and had it blasted and powder coated.

Name:	IMG_2237.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	61405

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

yes and that is 100% wrong way to do a no link.only thing you might be able to do is either have a custom shock made or run oem shock and linkage with a adjustable dog bone to get the ride height right.

Senior Member FerrinMotorsports's Avatar
    Not sure about it necessarily being the wrong way as it does have an aftermarket shock and who knows if the shock was set up for the application.....I remember back in the day around the late 80's early 90's seeing this tried on a few quads.....
    Last edited by FerrinMotorsports; 11-05-2019 at 06:08 PM.

2 common no link shock lengths 18.5 and 15.5
    Looks like they wanted the longer body shock.
    Xc Arens, Arsfx, ISF, Axis, ESR/BHP 363
    Duner Arens, LSR, Axis ESR/BHP 363
    Beware of the "big dog"

Looks like could run a no link swingarm but could use the 18.5 instead of 15.5 on factory frame
    RIDE WHATEVER IS NOT BROKEN!!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links