88 Swing arm pivot bolt bearings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 88 Swing arm pivot bolt bearings

88 Swing arm pivot bolt bearings

How the heck do I get these bearings out of the inside, don’t really wanna pay $70 for a slide hammer. Shop mechanic doesn’t feel comfortable getting the aluminum too hot. Bearings look in okay shape, needle bearings are clean, just wanna clean up since I don’t know how long the previous owner ran them.

Not sure where you are located, but if you have an auto parts store around you, such as Oreiley's or Autozone, you can rent these tools for free.

If you can't use that option try to find a socket that is the exact size of the bearings. Big enough around to catch the bearings, but small enough to get through the outer diameter of the swingarm. Should be able to knock them out.

I’ll see if that’s a possibility! As far as the socket I think you are referring to the 86/87 swing arm, you can not hit the bearings out on an 88/89 as there is an inner sleeve between

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

That sleeve rides on the inside diameter of the bearings. The bolt rides on the inside diameter of that sleeve. If your swingarm is removed that sleeve should come out fairly easy.

With the 88 and 89 the bearings can only come out from inside out. Do not try to push them from the outside in. If you don't have the puller for blind holes then you can use a long screw driver or possibly an extension to work from one side to remove the other side. (Work from the left to remove the right bearing, etc.)
    american opel likes this.

During this time put your new bearings in the freezer. It helps them go into the swingarm easier.

A long punch or bolt works wonders. I made a puller out of some modified washers and a bolt. As you tighten the bolt it pulls the bearings out. Cheap but effective

Okay maybe I am greatly missing something but on the 88 swinger you have the non movable section in the middle that is the same size as the inner diameter of the bearings... so yes you can not just push them through. So I don’t see how you could get a bolt to hook the bearings if it’s the same diameter as the inner block

Yea, gotta slow down and talk this one out lol.

Yes, there is a section in the middle. So rather than push a bearing through that middle piece, you are going to use a long object to push the bearing OUT from the inside. Screw driver from the left side of the swingarm will push the RIGHT bearing out, etc.

Here is a link with pics that I found. https://dirtwheelsmag.com/how-to-rep...garm-bearings/

Quote Originally Posted by 88250rbuild View Post
    How the heck do I get these bearings out of the inside, don’t really wanna pay $70 for a slide hammer. Shop mechanic doesn’t feel comfortable getting the aluminum too hot. Bearings look in okay shape, needle bearings are clean, just wanna clean up since I don’t know how long the previous owner ran them.
    If the bearings are in good shape, re-grease and go. Trying to remove, will probably destroy them. I would love to see some pictures of a puller, that would remove without damage to the bearing. Almost no room to work them out, on the 88-89. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links