Walsh 250r finally being fixed.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Lasher-19
  • 1 Post By Lasher-19

Thread: Walsh 250r finally being fixed.

Walsh 250r finally being fixed.

I have not logged into here in a while but kept up with reading everything. (some things never change LOL)

Backstory...
    Got into quads back in 1999, started with 1998 Blaster followed by 1999 Banshee. MX became big here in New England and I switched to 89 TRX 250r. Raced many years here in NEATV-MX then slowed down. When my oldest boy was old enough he started racing with me (he never wanted to race mini). Sharing a quad at the track was not working out so I purchased a Walsh 250R for him to race. But shortly after he wanted a 4 stroke.

Since I had all the normal goodies on the 89 TRX250R and thought it was awesome on the track (compared to Banshee), until I jumped on the Walsh. Night and day difference on the track. So...my kid and I decided to build a Walsh 450R rather than start with stock OEM 4 stroke quad. Took over a year but my son had his Walsh hybrid and I had my Walsh 250R.

But a couple years ago I lost the bottom end on my motor while racing at Southwick. For a while, I saw a crack on the case just under the counter balancer. I knew it was only a matter of time but I was only hitting one race that year and put some JB weld on it and headed to the track. About half way through the moto I remember the motor feeling like it was in the wrong gear, really bogging. I downshifted and hammered down the straight. When I passed the spectator area my son made a motion like "stuff coming out the bottom of motor" I knew it was about over. I was able to pull off track but that was it. Damage is in picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Not Good.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	60437

After sitting for a year my youngest (now 15) son is showing interest. So we are rebuilding the motor together. Yeah whole father/son thing in garage.

Hopefully I can get into the garage tonight I will take some pictures of the progress. Right now the bottom end is all set, just have to put the top end on and install into quad. Be nice to ride it again.

When playing in the yard with kids/friends I am on the POS 4 stroke or 90cc mini quad. I want my baby back

The Walsh 450R is the black/red Walsh 250R is white/blue

Name:	20150502_105909.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	60439
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Current Walsh 250r.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	60441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walsh CRF.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	60443  
    Last edited by Lasher-19; 02-26-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    fx4pitrone and american opel like this.

Nice...good to see the repairs have started. Keep us posted....

Carlos

My son was at his mothers so I did not want to do any wrenching, just what I call the grunt work. Scraping gaskets, cleaning threads etc.

My Sparks 280cc cylinder had some clear coat on it when I got it. When the motor blew, the heat caused it to look like crap and start flaking off. Here is a picture of the head before and after. Got to love blasting with walnut shells.

Name:	20190226_210216.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.70 MB 
ID:	60461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190226_213551.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	60463

All I kept thinking about was about 2 years ago when I sent the cylinder to Neil for bore/piston he was worried about the clearcoat finish when he cleaned it with some chemicals. LOL

Good news, the reeds still look like new. So now just waiting for my son to be around to bolt the top end together.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Finally found time with son to finish the motor on Sunday. Motor started up and ran fine, but we screwed up the kick starter and have to pull the cover. You can kick fine, but spring is not wound tight enough and the kicker starter will not return.

Yeah...my fault. ugh...

Ended up taking the motor back out of the frame. With the motor bolted in the clutch cover cannot clear the kick starter shaft and the frame. Off just a little bit on frame. No big deal, 4 bolts later and motor is out.

Took off clutch cover, clutch basket and saw I did not follow the instructions in manual and set the spring correctly. Put everything back together and should be good.

I noticed that one side of the cylinder studs were not long enough for the nuts. I saw when we installed motor and fired it up that it did not look right. And sitting on bench, I see that the replacement case studs were the shorter version. I need the longer (CR) version which were in the old broken case.

Now I have to swap out cylinder studs. I tried the 2 nut method really quick and no luck. But going to try with heat or just buy the Snap On set. Not sure yet which direction. I am sucker for new tools...
    Sainato.matt likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links