Cleaning Questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By acecarlos

Thread: Cleaning Questions

Cleaning Questions

As soon as we get another 45/50 degree day here in Kansas City I'm going to wash/detail my machine. I have a question about which product to use to clean the motor, as well as which product to spot-clean the frame of any grease/oil/dirt. I have these two items:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200124_080134.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	61883 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200124_080144.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	61885

Reading the labels reveals that simple green appears safe to use on almost any surface. However purple power's label says to not use on: 'Exterior car surfaces, glass, painted surfaces or wheel rims'.
    I have the feeling purple power is a stronger cleaner. I'm guessing use simple green on the frame to spot clean and purple power on the motor?

You all agree/disagree/thoughts
    Also any tips or hints are appreciated.
    >Will post this in the general area since it is a higher traffic part of the forum<

Thank you.
    Last edited by KC_R_Fanatic; 01-24-2020 at 08:47 AM.

I have used power purple on car engine blocks and transmissions. It did not cause any issue. I would spray down the car paint and make sure to keep it wet and sprayed down during the process.

For quads, simple green is good, but not great. Typically I will mix it strong and put it in a squirt bottle. I'll squirt problem areas (under fenders, swing arm, heel guards..etc) and let it soak while I prep a bucket with car soap and water and take care of plunging the intake.

I'll take a pressure washer (being mindful not to hit directly on seals, gaskets, radiator, airbox...etc) and spray off the simple green that has been soaking. You can get an idea of areas that might need a grunge brush or further attention.

Once problem areas are taken care of, I'll pop the plastics. Wash down the bike and plastics with car soap and wash mitt. Rinse. Dry with a towel, then bust out a little compressed air to get the more difficult to dry areas. Oil what need to be oiled.

I have used some chemicals in the past for a post prep. They would help shine and also keep the dirt from sticking on the next ride. Use with caution, Sand sticks worse, muds and dirt sticks less

Best regards
    -Jason

I use purple power straight & tooth brushes to clean grime off my frames than I use turtle wax to shine them back up.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

This is perfect, thank you both!

Like 2ndmoto said use lots of water while using cleaning detergents, rinse often & do a soap/water wash afterward. I usually use zipwax car wash soap & hand wash my R's... When using cleaners like purple power & simple green never let them dry before rinsing off.

Agreed; be careful with strong or concentrated cleaners, dilute as much as possible while maintaining the cleaning action needed. Also' be cautious with leaving detergents on for extended periods of time, again strong concentrations and Anodized parts don't mix well. Always rinse afterwards.

Carlos
    matuus likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links