Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Dirt wheels september 5 2015 89 250r vs 09 450r pointless shoot out

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  deathman53 
#1 ·
This add is all wrong.
1st its clearly not a 89 its an 86 they of all people should have got this rite.
2nd they go on about how Ct racing pipe and silencer dynoed at 36 hp 27 foot lbs torque.
Sounds a little high to me to go from a stock 26-28 hp to 36( thats 10hp with a pipe and silencer ? )
Why cant these magazine co. just do a stock shootouts like the old days ? with the same tires thats it.
3rd no winner at this shootout ?
I dont care who would win I love all atv's and I dont have anything against the 450r 4 that matter.
But for the amount of time 30 years Honda and all the other atv company's have had to come up with
a hands down better improved more reliable atv is unmatched to this day.

#2 · (Edited)
Ive always heard stock 250r to be at 30-32 hp and torque at 23-25. And with all due respect doing a stock comparison just wouldnt make sense B/c the 450r has like 3-5 hp more and at least 10 or more lbs of tq than the 250 stock vs stock. Just not comparing apples to apples. See what I want to see them do is a test not with stock nor some what modified nor "modified and race ready" as the mags say but 2 seriously fully built race quads that the pros would race not harry homeowners from down the street. Both having comparable numbers at around 60 HP and comparable tq numbers which the magazine had dynoed in house without taking anyones word for it. Im thinking a sphinx 350 or possibly a 363 but I feel a sphinx 350 would be a closer comparison. I don't have anything against the 4 strokers. I may joke and mess with them here and there but I like and respect them too. I would just love to put all the younger generation guys that only know 450's well and that talk soooo much ignorant smack about 2-strokes in their place. 250r's can be comparible to 450's if built correctly with the right cylinder, port job, pipe, and carb from one of the top builders. That would be the shootout to see.

#8 ·
When I read about a atv I like to know what Im getting out the door.
You dont have to race to enjoy a good competition atv I bet most 250R riders dont race.
Not every one has the extra 8 grand to put into a atv that they just bought.
And I happen to think 250R vs 450 is fair most people just look at hp numbers and speeds dont get me wrong those are fact's.
I look how far behind the one that didnt win and then compare the displacement and chassis set up and every thing else.
I have never rode a trx 450r but I have rode the Yfz 450R and its a sweet bike but I would take a 250R over it and not
because I have one.
Now if I were going riding and say it was muddy enough out my prefrance would be a 4 stroke.
And I do agree when you said 250r's can be comparible to 450's if built correctly.
But its already combatable lol
Like Mr.250r said The last thing the big companies want it some 20+ year old clunker beating their brand new bikes.
Especially Honda who made them both lol

#5 ·
IMHO those shootouts are always inconclusive, they simply state the pros and cons which as enthusiasts we already know. The best articles are the articles done on individual bikes. Same thing with car magazines, they writers leave the conclusion open ended..

#9 ·
The corvette has always been the GM flagship car, and always will be. Does anyone remember the quite gem GM called the Buick Grand National? It was a friggin sedan with a turbo 6 cylinder that was ravaging the asphalt back in 1987! GM would never admit it and stopped production after a short run of 2 years, but the Grand National was out performing super cars in straight line acceleration! The vette would get its doors blown off it by the Grand National until about 1995. The LT4 just couldn't keep up.. GM would never have admitted that back then. They created a monster and they knew it as well as the consumer!

#11 ·
Its funny you brought this up Mike the Grand National I was going to put it in my post above.
Talking about big motors vs small motors.
What about The little Red Express truck that dodge made in 1978 it was also faster than a Corrvette that year.
A stepside truck with smoke stacks.

#14 ·
numbers for HP that i've seen from honda was 33hP for the trx250r. what the trx250r has going for it is A. power to weight ratio that 4 strokes dont have and B. super fun to ride no matter what it feels like you going fast. I can beat my buddies stock 06 YFZ 450r i run a stock 88 cylinder with mild porting on my trail motor, that was 2nd gear roll on a fire road here in Michigan which is flat and relatively straight. Now the new yfz's with EFI im not sure if i can or not. what i would like to see is a full mx setup and full GNCC setup for both machines and lap times now were talking.

#15 ·
Everything about the article was inaccurate, for the 250r. It was a 86, 88/89 swinger, that just for starters. You guys are missing the whole point to the article, it is basically telling honda "wake up, what you built 30 years ago is still competitive and beating what you sell today". Yes, I would love to see a pro 250r vs pro 450r and see how it stacks up. I just hope it wont be like that article one magazine ran pitting a trx330r to ltr450 and the ltr450 destroyed it in everyway, even went so far to say that the trx330r was sluggish and potent efi 4 stroke motor is far superior in every way....or something along those lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.