ATV Certificate of Origin, Are we allowed to keep it when we apply for a title (MI)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ATV Certificate of Origin, Are we allowed to keep it when we apply for a title (MI)?

ATV Certificate of Origin, Are we allowed to keep it when we apply for a title (MI)?

I know this may seem like an odd question, but the lady at the SoS office in MI took my Certificate of Origin last week and refused to give it back to me. I was informed it would be shredded within 30 days if not sooner. My cousin who bought the bike new in '89 has had the Honda origin certificate with his bundle of paperwork since purchased, were talking like 30 years here guys and I wanted to keep the dang thing. The bike was never titled after it was purchased since in MI, ATV's were not issued titles until 1991. I was left with a clustermess trying to get one made for this bike since all the paperwork was signed by his dad (my cousin was 17 so everything was signed by my uncle).
    Long story short, she made me pay original sales tax from 1989 adjusted from 4% to 6% ($211...) even though I had the original dealer receipt showing sales tax was paid in 1989. She then processed an official title to be sent to my uncle who now is like 80 years old, that I had to get from him signed off. Now that I got it back from him, I have to take it back to the SoS and pay sales tax AGAIN for the recent "purchase price". All while losing the CoO. If you are wondering why I wanted a title, it is because I was told I need one to get an ORV sticker to ride on MI state trails with it, which is something I'd like to do. I am leaving out all the extra steps I had to do to get my cousin power of attorney over paperwork since my uncle was not going to go to the SoS and do it himself. Can I get the original CoO back? Should I have paid the original 1989 sales tax over again? I feel like this woman did everything she could to screw me over. I have been to the SoS 5 times in the last 3 weeks to get this resolved, what a complete nightmare!

1988 TRX 250R w/'89 Clutch Upgrade & Neil's CR500 Clutch Mod
    (2)1992 LT230E's
    2007 YZ250F
    1995 RT100 (my first dirt bike, still got it!)
    1976 CB750 (still restoring my dads bike)
    -Previous Bikes-
    1986 TRX70
    1976 DT125 Enduro
    1987 YZ125
    2000 YZ80

well first off you wont get it back.second off you should have just took the quad there.said youhave owned it since 1989 but lost the titleand you would have gotten a new title for $20.i have done this several dozen times.

several dozen is 36 times. you did this 36 times ?
    Steve056 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by american opel View Post
    well first off you wont get it back.second off you should have just took the quad there.said youhave owned it since 1989 but lost the titleand you would have gotten a new title for $20.i have done this several dozen times.
    I originally went to the SoS with a bill of sale with the VIN & "purchase price" on it signed off by my cousin, the lady at the counter told me no way she would let me title it that way. She asked for a CoO and when I handed it over she said the bikes never been titled, and the CoO is signed off by a different name than me and therefore the mess ensued.
    As for saying I wont get the CoO back, a similar thing happened when my dad put his CB750 into my name, they kept the original title from 1976 and said I could not have it back even though VOID was written on the back. I went to a different office and they called lansing, a guy found it and sent it back to me, so anything is possible!

Also in 1989 I was 4 years old, so I doubt the lady was going to believe I bought it new.
    Last edited by Steve056; 08-31-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    (2)1992 LT230E's
    2007 YZ250F
    -Previous Bikes-
    1986 TRX70
    1976 DT125 Enduro
    1987 YZ125
    2000 YZ80

here is a classic example of our goverment working hard to take your money
    Steve056 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    several dozen is 36 times. you did this 36 times ?
    yes.i titled 11 quads and trikes this way in the last year alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve056 View Post
    I originally went to the SoS with a bill of sale with the VIN & "purchase price" on it signed off by my cousin, the lady at the counter told me no way she would let me title it that way. She asked for a CoO and when I handed it over she said the bikes never been titled, and the CoO is signed off by a different name than me and therefore the mess ensued.
    As for saying I wont get the CoO back, a similar thing happened when my dad put his CB750 into my name, they kept the original title from 1976 and said I could not have it back even though VOID was written on the back. I went to a different office and they called lansing, a guy found it and sent it back to me, so anything is possible!

Also in 1989 I was 4 years old, so I doubt the lady was going to believe I bought it new.

What freaks them out is the possibility of "title jumping" which is the title changing hands a bunch of times without them getting their money and is illegal on a titled vehicle. But the MSO/CoO on the other hand is not a government document so a lot of times they have to back off on that. Of course it depends on the state. This was Ohio.
    Steve056 likes this.
    Might as well smoke... SMOKE!

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    here is a classic example of our goverment working hard to take your money
    Also the title my Uncle received last week was printed as a TRX250 and not a TRX250R as on the CoO. I have an appointment on thurs to finally have it put into my name, hopefully whoever is working there will label it properly when I point that out and not give me any crap. It would have been cheaper for me to just have Dirt-Legal.com issue me a straight up street legal title for the dang thing, I could then at least put blinkers on it and take it onto the street and freak people out.
    douglas likes this.
    (2)1992 LT230E's
    2007 YZ250F
    -Previous Bikes-
    1986 TRX70
    1976 DT125 Enduro
    1987 YZ125
    2000 YZ80

I’m from Michigan and you do not need a title to ride orv areas or trails.

Quote Originally Posted by DMarty View Post
    I’m from Michigan and you do not need a title to ride orv areas or trails.
    I know you need an ORV license sticker + ORV trail permit sticker (both). I was specifically told I needed a title to prove ownership if stopped by the DNR and to buy the stickers. Also the exhaust silencer cannot be louder than 96db if stopped and tested at whatever RPM the DNR has listed for every type of bike/quad since the 80s.
    I went to a different secretary of state after I posted this topic and had the title finally put into my name and had it printed right there for $5. She was puzzled as to why I had to pay for the title to be issued but I left it alone.
    Pretty sure the first woman at the other SoS just wanted to bleed me for as much $$$ as she could and she definitely got $200+ out of me and a lot of my hair I ripped out during the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250R 9-09-19.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	3.67 MB 
ID:	61219
    (2)1992 LT230E's
    2007 YZ250F
    -Previous Bikes-
    1986 TRX70
    1976 DT125 Enduro
    1987 YZ125
    2000 YZ80

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links