1964 Biscayne 283, my dream car, ever since Cheech n Chong(Impala I know)
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TrailBurner
  • 1 Post By douglas

Thread: 1964 Biscayne 283, my dream car, ever since Cheech n Chong(Impala I know)

1964 Biscayne 283, my dream car, ever since Cheech n Chong(Impala I know)

Hello, 1st I'll start by saying if you wanna check out the car and pics, go to gatewayclassiccars, search Chevrolet then Biscayne. Mine is the Silver and Burgandy.

I purchased a 283 punched .o3o , bare block, bought 327 Vette heads smaller intake exhaust valves, Hugger headers, basically it for now. Going to put on engine stand and stair at it, until money allows to continue buying parts.

Basically I would like USEFUL info on your experiences if any.
    Looking for Flat Top pistons,
    Unclear at the moment on crank and rods
    Need an intake
    I have a 4 barrel Holley 600 cfm
    these engines like compression, so thinking be around 9.5 - 1 compression roughly.
    I am porting/ squaring up and radius-ing ports, will cut gasket to fit
    w flat top pistons and thin head gaskets n possibly deck .01-.02 to get compression or cc's correct
    I think the L79 cam is the one recommended for rpm and torque values
    I have a 700r4 in house, but may go with 4-5 speed manual, as I have 3 on the tree now, did buy Hurst floor shifter, 3 speed, for now.
    I bought 17" Torq Thrust 2 Chromies, grocery n coffee runs. LOL Dunkin Donuts usually has classics during summer.
    Had a rat rod there last night, 572 weiland charger hanging off it. My Dad has a 1969 Camaro SS, looking to possibly sell this year, had it 15 yrs, he's going for a Mopar, he had a 1972 Dart w 340,as a 20-ish yr ol' stories Ive heard, OMG

Im not an engine builder, but I am going to be, Im not scared, rather yell at myself in the mirror than phone call a builder to b-tch.

Any helpful info would be great along with suggestions, this will be my couple year project.

Heres a viewing of some pics.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2090f.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	60851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2090a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	60853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2090qqq.jpg 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	60855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2090p.jpg 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	60857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2090g.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	186.2 KB 
ID:	60859

Dont be jealous, be happy for me, as I am getting license back after 8 long years, DWI's yyeeup, been sober 4 years, much better life style.
    matuus likes this.
    86 253cc, 40pwk, CT OOF pipe.
    99 583 Formula Z
    74 340 TnT- in progress/restoration
    Owner, hellabrokeNH- coming soon.

sobriety is a blessing. 23 years here. i had a 64 4 door years ago with a 283. paid $ 60 for it had it 1 day it got stolen. always been a chevy gm man myself. car looks good keep up the work on it

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    sobriety is a blessing. 23 years here. i had a 64 4 door years ago with a 283. paid $ 60 for it had it 1 day it got stolen. always been a chevy gm man myself. car looks good keep up the work on it

Thanks douglas, I will keep posting updated pics, if people become interested. Any car shows down your area, I'll drive her down. 2-3 hour drive be all right.
    Oh I have a sweet speaker set up for it, 4x 6.5'' 2x 8'' subs. used one of my grandfathers wooden tool box for the enclosure.

Later
    99 583 Formula Z

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

there's car shows every where. i'm not into it any more use to go all the time. on june 15 th or 16 th here at sterling ma airport every year they have a drag meet. its mostly vintage cars. its an awesome time. in July worcester ma the biggest car show in the east coast area is the nationals it runs for 3-4 days. on 1 day there is a place in the city they do burn outs at its in the downtown area all legal. thats a cool event. one of my cars in the past was a 69 Z 28 i got it with no motor. i rebuilt a 1969 396 big block 4 bolt main 11-1 high dome pistons open chamber heads Z L 1 cam Pro stock heads 2 1/2 exhaust. t 10 close spline 4 speed transmission and 4 11 gears. 425 hp ran a 750 holly on an edelbrock alum intake. the power in that car was awesome to say the least. dump the clutch in first at 6000 - 7000 rpm and power shifting till i got to 4 th gear i would have to back off as i could not control it any more wheels spinning all through the gears. i now have laying dorment a 67 plymouth fury with 59,000 original. but its been sitting for years. i picked up a 67 440 engine and trans with open chamber heads. some day i hope to put it together. for now i work way to much.
    Last edited by douglas; 05-18-2019 at 03:57 AM.
    TrailBurner likes this.

UPDATE.... deciding to go Stroker on the 283 already cleaned up .o3o .... on its way, delivered to my local Fastenal. Sweetness. Flat top pistons. My porting ,,, cleaning up of the exhaust ports are spot on, got the gaskets today, Im good... not cockie, but Im good, lol. Sarcasm well-come on comments, I like to have fun and throw jabs. If you give you will receive in Fun. I'll have pics up on progress and list of parts I need to organize and incoming log myself. Finally another good day in New Hampshire, poor people in the South with all the rain. Crop prices WILL sky Rocket, they're not able to plant there crops, too much rain.
    99 583 Formula Z

That is sweet! On that 283, there is a guy here who races in IHRA in this really cool class where you have to build your own engine. He (Dennis Mitchell Racing Engines) uses a 283 that revs something like 12,000 rpm! Kind of a pro-mod looking chassis. Anyways, really cool to hear one of those mouse motors wind up that high.

He built me an engine a few years back that made around 150hp per cylinder. It was pretty cool to have an old school builder like him take on my 4 cylinder engine and work his magic.

Good luck with your build. That's going to be a good looking runner.

Cool ride. Chevrolet baby!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Nubs View Post
    That is sweet! On that 283, there is a guy here who races in IHRA in this really cool class where you have to build your own engine. He (Dennis Mitchell Racing Engines) uses a 283 that revs something like 12,000 rpm! Kind of a pro-mod looking chassis. Anyways, really cool to hear one of those mouse motors wind up that high.

He built me an engine a few years back that made around 150hp per cylinder. It was pretty cool to have an old school builder like him take on my 4 cylinder engine and work his magic.

Good luck with your build. That's going to be a good looking runner.
    Thanks, I have a 1999 Formula Z 583, bought for myself after HS, ported it by a diamond in the rough over here in NH,Maine area. Approx dyno numbers... 78 torque 112 hp at 7500-7600. Stock tach,,,, usually off. Found out later on in life the guy who had land n sea dyno was a meth head, sweet. So those are rough numbers, proof is in the pudding. I smoke most 800's, then again with someone riding shot gun on the usual Arctic Cat 800 to gain hook up. I run chisel, I dont ennnf around. .... By 80 mph I just berb burb coast, and there like thats a 670..................... Weeeeeeeeee LOL
    99 583 Formula Z

Meant to add the port genius called it ,,,, HOT TRAIL PORT. Oh it is up to 80, another day another lounge post.
    99 583 Formula Z

Quote Originally Posted by F-Red View Post
    Cool ride. Chevrolet baby!
    Honda bay. and dat apple too. Definetly be in touch, as I am a 250R guru in my own mind.
    99 583 Formula Z

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links