Oem cdi not working
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By acecarlos

Thread: Oem cdi not working

Oem cdi not working

I had bought an aftermarket cdi for a trx250r, my first 250r . It never came with one. So I have the issue of serious kickback . It has loads of spark though. I was told buy an oem cdi. I bought one , 200 bucks later, no spark at all. Thought I might have got a dud. So I bought another, another 200 bucks later, still no spark. Bike is not finished being built , and would like to get it firing before I go any further in the build. I have no regulator hooked up, or any lights etc. Just the stator to harness , coil to harness, and the cdi to harness. It should be sparking if the cdi's worked, right ?

not n expert. dont know who else to get help 2 u. if he dont come here. pm bdt carlos. or call bdt. or call other builders 4 help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It very well could be a bad stator. My oem stator went out on me right into 5 minutes of the first ride for the day. I lost spark. I thought at the time it was cdi, but tried a few with no spark improvement. Bought a brand new oem coil and a Ricky stator and poof I had spark again. I just think the odds of 2 bad cdi's would be slim right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

So you have kickback with an aftermarket CDI ? I suppose the trigger signal from the stator could be enough to trigger a aftermarket CDI, but not strong enough to trigger a OEM CDI. 2 bad OEM CDI's doesn't sound right. Possible i guess. It is not beyond the relm of possibility that a OEM CDI has a higher threshold when it comes to triggering. And if the stator is weak it would cause a no start. Also don't use a resistor plug. Also you might want to gap your spark plug to .018 to .020 " If you haven't already.
    Last edited by meathead321; 02-27-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Please note, that it will take you kicking the engine over, to at least 750 rpm for the stock 250R ignition system to even produce a spark. That is if the system is in good shape. On the 250R stock ignition, 9 out of 10 where theres a spark problem, it is either the wiring harness connectors, or either the connectors up inside the plug on the CDI box.
    The black wire with the white stripe in the harness, is the main ignition wire, check that wire in the plug going into the CDI box plug. Try bending the harness around at the CDI box & tie wrap it to the box, put that plug in a bind & a lot of times you'll get spark back.

Think of it like this, all the times during that ignition systems life span, that it has been pulled apart & pushed back together during a rebuild & how much stress have been put on those connectors, wires & little male pins in that plug on the CDI box.
    Over time, the male pin for the black wire white stripe, it can be broken loose inside the CDI box & you can have intermitted connection from time to time depending on how much pressure put onto the plug hooked up to the box.

There were two members on Mac Dizzy.com, that were the 250R ignition gurus, ol Teamgeeks 6 & Ramajacoony from South Africa. They really dug into the 250R system & found its faults & how to correct them.
    Neil
    Last edited by C-Leigh Racing; 02-27-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
    Please note, that it will take you kicking the engine over, to at least 750 rpm for the stock 250R ignition system to even produce a spark. That is if the system is in good shape. On the 250R stock ignition, 9 out of 10 where theres a spark problem, it is either the wiring harness connectors, or either the connectors up inside the plug on the CDI box.
    The black wire with the white stripe in the harness, is the main ignition wire, check that wire in the plug going into the CDI box plug. Try bending the harness around at the CDI box & tie wrap it to the box, put that plug in a bind & a lot of times you'll get spark back.

Think of it like this, all the times during that ignition systems life span, that it has been pulled apart & pushed back together during a rebuild & how much stress have been put on those connectors, wires & little male pins in that plug on the CDI box.
    Over time, the male pin for the black wire white stripe, it can be broken loose inside the CDI box & you can have intermitted connection from time to time depending on how much pressure put onto the plug hooked up to the box.

There were two members on Mac Dizzy.com, that were the 250R ignition gurus, ol Teamgeeks 6 & Ramajacoony from South Africa. They really dug into the 250R system & found its faults & how to correct them.
    Neil
    1983Hondacr480:

Neil's comments are very true, check all connectors, ON/OFF switch, Ground, ect...if possible find a local 250R enthusiast with a good running 'R' that you can check and swap components with.

Kick her like you mean it, 750 RPM's is the minimum needed for the 250R to generate a spark to start.

Carlos
    Sainato.matt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by acecarlos View Post
    1983Hondacr480:

Neil's comments are very true, check all connectors, ON/OFF switch, Ground, ect...if possible find a local 250R enthusiast with a good running 'R' that you can check and swap components with.

Kick her like you mean it, 750 RPM's is the minimum needed for the 250R to generate a spark to start.

Carlos
    Oh man, didnt catch that part, 1983.
    Neil

I have an OEM set up if needed.
    86 253cc, 40pwk, CT OOF pipe.
    99 583 Formula Z
    74 340 TnT- in progress/restoration
    Owner, hellabrokeNH- coming soon.

What all you got?

Quote Originally Posted by 1983hondacr480 View Post
    What all you got?
    Stator , Magneto, trigger pick up