Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Building 330r PV. Need help with a couple of details

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Schuko 
#1 ·
I have been building my 250R for almost a year now. ( meaning I have been buying and stock piling parts when I can afford them ) I have new ESR cases, rebuilt oem long rod, 330 PV with trx 9 port, kit form ESR, 38mm carb. Running race gas. My next things are what set up should I use for the ignition system, Hinson basket and stock clutch?, and should the stock transmission work fine? Is it worth it to get after market transmission. I need to finish this project within a few weeks.

Schuko

#2 · (Edited)
I have been building my 250R for almost a year now. ( meaning I have been buying and stock piling parts when I can afford them ) I have new ESR cases, rebuilt oem long rod, 330 PV with trx 9 port, kit form ESR, 38mm carb. Running race gas. My next things are what set up should I use for the ignition system, Hinson basket and stock clutch?, and should the stock transmission work fine? Is it worth it to get after market transmission. I need to finish this project within a few weeks. Schuko
welcome my fellow masshole, were in mass are you from?
yes stock transmission as long as it in good condition is fine,

also OEM clutch is fine there is a clutch modification being done with one 400ex metal clutch plate cr500 springs and aluminum drain bolt washers on each spring bolt

for ignition you have a couple choices but both involve only Honda parts NEVER cheap aftermarket
if you can afford a cr250r ignition its a great upgrade, but nothing wrong with a good original system

#3 ·
also OEM clutch is fine there is a clutch modification being done with one 400ex metal clutch plate cr500 springs and aluminum drain bolt washers on each spring bolt
I just did this, havent rode yet for any feedback but so far seems to be good to go.
I bought new oem fiber discs and soaked a day ahead of time

#4 ·
sound's like you have just about everything covered...i would also go with the cr250 ignition.i am just getting mine tuned.i will hopefully have it dialed in by this weekend.if you need help with jetting i will let you know what i figured out and then you can go from there.

#5 ·
Thank you, I am from Ludlow. Transmission seems to be in good shape so I will use it. Seen different opinions on the ESR cases. I hope I will not have any issues! I will use the stock ignition for now. I am looking to buy a cr ignition. What should I get from the CR system? What years work? Is there any difference. Jetting will be the next thing.

#6 ·
Check out that apt smart carb for the future. Got my order in but they keep dicking us around. The cast version will Eventually be shipped out but their trying their best to get as many people they can to by the billet version. Get that baby together. Some good woods racing in our local area. Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Soil Screenshot Website

#10 · (Edited)
cr250. Either an 01 or the new 02 up kits. If you plan on keeping it a while remember that with the 01 you will have more trouble getting new oem components to keep it going as far as future maintainance-parts repalcement vs the 02 and up kits. New oem 01 cdi's will not exist at all in the not so distant future. Just something to think about.

#11 · (Edited)
yes but with the reliability of oem most got 25 years from the stock trx 250r ignition if I can get half of that Im really not worried

ill take my chances on a 01 cr250r just for the preferred timing curve and lack of time of testing on the trx along with extra components to fail that the +02 have at this time

the 01 has been time tested and proven to be very bullet proof along with proven performance gains

#12 ·
The motor is at the builders shop. Thank you for the input. I will go with the 2001 CR250 ignition system. I have been looking on eBay and did not see one. Where can I get one? Also looking for the Hinson case mod w/quick change cover. Should have my wheels in the dirt soon!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.