Hard to kick start?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hard to kick start?

Hard to kick start?

New to me 88 250R with 265cc kit.

Coming from 2 wheels, I am a little shocked that the kickstarter is considerably smaller then my 05 CR250 2-stroke.....is there a way to fit a longer kickstarter? Or at aleast one that has more area for you foot/boot to catch on?

I have a 05 CR500AF and I would say it's slightly easier to start the cr500AF (does not have compression release btw).

Does having a 265 big bore kit really make it that much more difficult to start? Kicking over the 250R in work boots hurts, still isn't comfortable kicking it with MX boots on. I know as of right now my foot keeps slipping off as it makes contact with the pipe. Didn't know if someone sells a kicker that has bends in it kinda like a 2-stroke bike would.

A common issue that causes the kick back your describing is an aftermarket CDI

Going from bikes to an R is a completely different game as your finding out. Short of welding on extensions there's really not any aftermarket options for a longer kicker. The pocket in the fenders will limit it to not much bigger than stock also unless you cut the plastic to clear it... The 265 isn't considered a bigbore but there usually built as high compression high rpm screamers so it might just take some getting used to before the kicker feels normal.... Unless you have an aftermarket cdi like Action69 mentioned than those can make your R a sob to start.
    Last edited by scrappy; 01-19-2020 at 11:06 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

check compression. should be pretty easy to kick unless crap aftermarket cdi..yes they arnt real easy like birtbikes..stand up get it on a good stroke and kick straight down.my son starts his 431 in flip flops.
    acecarlos likes this.

What's the deal with aftermarket cdi? Are they meant to increase spark at higher rpm but not good for starting. I'm willing to go back to stock if that helps. I'm looking to trail ride, no higher rpm needed. I'd have to guess that the last owner used this 250 as a flat tracker.

On average it might take 10-12 kicks to start. Noticable compression "POP" out the silencer after each kick....every once in a while I can get it to start in 1-2 kicks.

afterarket ones have too much inital timing and usually not enough total.so they kick back and then never seem to rev out.acts like it's rich but it isnt.oem only.
    acecarlos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Majors View Post
    New to me 88 250R with 265cc kit.

Coming from 2 wheels, I am a little shocked that the kickstarter is considerably smaller then my 05 CR250 2-stroke.....is there a way to fit a longer kickstarter? Or at aleast one that has more area for you foot/boot to catch on?

I have a 05 CR500AF and I would say it's slightly easier to start the cr500AF (does not have compression release btw).

Does having a 265 big bore kit really make it that much more difficult to start? Kicking over the 250R in work boots hurts, still isn't comfortable kicking it with MX boots on. I know as of right now my foot keeps slipping off as it makes contact with the pipe. Didn't know if someone sells a kicker that has bends in it kinda like a 2-stroke bike would.
    Shouldn't be hard to start a 265CC OEM cylinder, actually should be fairly easy. Most likely it's over compressed, plus no such thing as "as high compression high rpm screamers"...."high compression" does NOT produce a "high rpm screamers", the reverse is true. The higher the compression, the more limited the high rpm's become. Usually high compression engines are 'stump pullers', or intended for Low to Mid Range, not any sort of high rpm's.

If you're sticking with what you have, and it is a "high compression" engine & not related to BAD aftermarket CDI's, you may want to consider a CR Valve ('Compression Release Valve')...this addition will make starting much easier, push the CR Valve in, kick start and go....usually compression is reduced 35-45lbs, once the engine fires the CR Valve closes automatically. They work great...

Carlos
    Last edited by acecarlos; 01-20-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    matuus likes this.

Also the head might be bored alot my 254cc's head was bored to 23.5 cc i am pretty sure it has oem cdi and it is super hard to kick over it also had a cr head gasket i am 160lbs and i can jump on the kicker and it wont turn over.

stock good compression should be 165-185.going with the cr or just the shim oem gasket it will bump it up to 185-205 usually.still not hard to kick over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links