Hard to kick start? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hard to kick start?

Going to a CR shim gasket will make it a bit higher than 185-205psi cranking compression. I have an OEM ATC head gasket & stock 86 head on a non ported 66.75mm 88-89 cylinder with a hotrods LR crank & its just a hair over 200psi according to my snap-on compression gauge.
    Last edited by scrappy; 01-21-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evaneyeball View Post
    Also the head might be bored alot my 254cc's head was bored to 23.5 cc i am pretty sure it has oem cdi and it is super hard to kick over it also had a cr head gasket i am 160lbs and i can jump on the kicker and it wont turn over.
    23.5CC's is not a High Compression dome for an OEM cylinder at 67.50MM bore. Something else is not correct; possibly squish is set extremely low. The statement "i can jump on the kicker and it wont turn over" is very troubling, not good!

Carlos
    matuus likes this.

I have 88 with ct 310. When mine wanted to fire, gave kick back and was being difficult, it was a combination of a bad cdi and fuel. Carb was lean and new cdi helped not kick back. The carb being lean was biggest issue. They tend to be very picky about fuel, oil, air mix and ratios. At least in my experience.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Where is a good place to find a stock CDI? I have looked all over and I am not sure of the ones I did find ( kind of high price for used unit )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1988-...5.c10#viTabs_0
    Ones like this listed above just sketch me out, I worry that it will fail and leave me stranded 3 miles from my truck in some trails

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Majors View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1988-...5.c10#viTabs_0
    Ones like this listed above just sketch me out, I worry that it will fail and leave me stranded 3 miles from my truck in some trails
    mr lee try to stay away from the aftermarket cdi.makes your machine run like crap and alot of kickback maybe a member will have one they can sell you or you can find a used oem cdi.take care and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Majors View Post
    On average it might take 10-12 kicks to start. Noticable compression "POP" out the silencer after each kick....every once in a while I can get it to start in 1-2 kicks.
    It should start in 2-3 kicks max!

Pull the Spark Plug.....is it wet ? Dry & Black ? if so....you're rich.....Turn your Air Screw out 1 turn and try again with a NEW clean properly gapped plug (0.024")

Is this a STOCK carb ? Maybe the Choke/Idle adjuster is worn or out too far.

Is your Air Filter Clean and oiled properly ?

Hows the Spark ? White ? Purple? Could be a weak ignition

Pull off the Magneto cover...Is there an RPM Ignition advancer installed ? Timing might be too far retarded.

report back what your findings are.

There is currently a used Oem one on eBay for $60 obo

Hey action69 I will check ebay again. I found a lot of aftermarket and one or two oem that they were wanting $250+ for.

I may have an extra oem one I’d sell I have to check my parts stash..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links