Few questions from a newb! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Few questions from a newb!

That's cool you and your Father work together like that.
    I had a bdt engine once....It sucked!
    Current: Hybrid Engineering 391R
    Future: Some other awesome engine built by Hybrid Engineering!

That's way cool your dad & you are building it together. My dad helped me work on my 86 quite a bit when I was learning.

Quote Originally Posted by JCope79 View Post
    So last year I purchased a 86 TRX. Now I’m in the process of rebuilding the motor. After some research I’ve realized I have a 86 ATC bottom end and a 85 top end with no port and a 87 or later crank. Also before I blew it up it had a 87-89 piston with no spacer plate. I never could get it dialed in. This time around I plan on running a 85/86 piston with a spacer plate and will have the cylinder ported and polished. Is this a safe setup for woods riding or would a short rod crank with no spacer plate be better? Help me out!!
    As long as you are below 68MM bore, you can use the 85 cylinder & Long Rod crankshaft with no spacer plate needed. If going with the 85-86 piston kit and Long Rod; use a 3/16" spacer late + two OEM base gaskets (spacer not needed with short rod crankshaft). Keep in mind neither setup is better than the other (other cylinder options like 87-88 will improve performance), except the 85-86 piston kits allow you to go to 69.50MM bore.

For WOODS; the emphasis should be on Low to Mid range power, therefore the Long Rod crankshaft is a better option than the Short Rod. Going to a stroker crankshaft like +4MM is your best choice as it increases low to mid range TrQ & Power....an OEM BDT276CC aka 68MM (67-69.50) bore x 76MM stroke (+4MM) is a great WOODS engine with a lot of TrQ & HP down low for WOODS...winner of many MX, XC & TT National events the last +7 years.

As American Opel-Martin stated; the 85 cylinder is fine, however; each progressive year Honda made small subtle changes to each cylinder. The 86 is slightly stronger than the 85, the 87 is a good improvement in reliability (less piston wear-longer life), the intake design & support as well as exhaust track angle & volume, the 88 cylinder (88 is 89 cylinder) is the best of all since it has all the subtle changes Honda incorporated over the years of development.

On builders; perform your due diligence, start with this forum, FB, and look at whose building winning race engines across MX, TT, XC, WOODS the past 7 years. Also who is available to answer questions, who stocks all the 250R parts, and who promotes 250R's, travels to National events, ect...the answer then becomes obvious.

Any questions PM or call me directly at BDT Motorsports, here to help as needed.

Great to read your Dad & you are involved as a Team; "he ports & you polish"....awesome. Best of luck,

Carlos
    Last edited by acecarlos; 01-06-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    matuus likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Look another sales pitch......
    scrappy and douglas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norm View Post
    Look another sales pitch......
    what are you talking about again.he gave good info and said get a good builder or give him a call.
    matuus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by acecarlos View Post
    As long as you are below 68MM bore, you can use the 85 cylinder & Long Rod crankshaft with no spacer plate needed. If going with the 85-86 piston kit and Long Rod; use a 3/16" spacer late + two OEM base gaskets (spacer not needed with short rod crankshaft). Keep in mind neither setup is better than the other (other cylinder options like 87-88 will improve performance), except the 85-86 piston kits allow you to go to 69.50MM bore.

For WOODS; the emphasis should be on Low to Mid range power, therefore the Long Rod crankshaft is a better option than the Short Rod. Going to a stroker crankshaft like +4MM is your best choice as it increases low to mid range TrQ & Power....an OEM BDT276CC aka 68MM (67-69.50) bore x 76MM stroke (+4MM) is a great WOODS engine with a lot of TrQ & HP down low for WOODS...winner of many MX, XC & TT National events the last +7 years.

As American Opel-Martin stated; the 85 cylinder is fine, however; each progressive year Honda made small subtle changes to each cylinder. The 86 is slightly stronger than the 85, the 87 is a good improvement in reliability (less piston wear-longer life), the intake design & support as well as exhaust track angle & volume, the 88 cylinder (88 is 89 cylinder) is the best of all since it has all the subtle changes Honda incorporated over the years of development.

On builders; perform your due diligence, start with this forum, FB, and look at whose building winning race engines across MX, TT, XC, WOODS the past 7 years. Also who is available to answer questions, who stocks all the 250R parts, and who promotes 250R's, travels to National events, ect...the answer then becomes obvious.

Any questions PM or call me directly at BDT Motorsports, here to help as needed.

Great to read your Dad & you are involved as a Team; "he ports & you polish"....awesome. Best of luck,

Carlos
    best post. from best builder. bdt carlos simply the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly the OP is on a budget & just wanting info to make his combination of parts work. He also stated that his dad was going to be porting the cylinder so obviously their mechanically inclined. He also never said anything about looking for an engine builder so there's no reason to do his due diligence & research builders...That 85 cylinder on an 86 bottom end with the long rod crank & 85-86 piston & spacer will work very well... American Opal said 85 cylinders are not worth messing with & there weak but that's only true if there ported for all out drag racing. The 85 cylinder on an engine set up for woods riding will last as long as any of the other oem cylinders would.
    The Norm and douglas like this.

Matuus, Let's just agree to disagree shall we? ESR is exactly the builder Carlos described. Has just about everything on hand that you need to build an engine. Has first hand knowledge of 250R's from day one. Rode and raced 250R'S from first production. Offered humongous prize money at 2stroke nationals. Developed and produced a new and innovative cylinder. Does his own work in house!!!!!!!!! And he showed up at a 250R event in our local dunes! He spent an entire day riding and sharing his wisdom with the 250R community.
    Does Carlos personally do any of that? Or does Carlos sit at his desk farming everything out and play keyboard commando online? I think the latter is the accurate assumption..... I prefer taking my cylinders to someone that isn't jumping on every post on the forums. I prefer a builder that isn't online beating his own drum. I prefer a builder that actually does his own work. Pete at Hybrid Engineering, Arlen at LED, Eddie at ESR.
    scrappy and douglas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Norm View Post
    Matuus, Let's just agree to disagree shall we? ESR is exactly the builder Carlos described. Has just about everything on hand that you need to build an engine. Has first hand knowledge of 250R's from day one. Rode and raced 250R'S from first production. Offered humongous prize money at 2stroke nationals. Developed and produced a new and innovative cylinder. Does his own work in house!!!!!!!!! And he showed up at a 250R event in our local dunes! He spent an entire day riding and sharing his wisdom with the 250R community.
    Does Carlos personally do any of that? Or does Carlos sit at his desk farming everything out and play keyboard commando online? I think the latter is the accurate assumption..... I prefer taking my cylinders to someone that isn't jumping on every post on the forums. I prefer a builder that isn't online beating his own drum. I prefer a builder that actually does his own work. Pete at Hybrid Engineering, Arlen at LED, Eddie at ESR.
    BDT does 100% our own work, all in house; anyone that has visited, knows BDT or me directly knows this is 100% true. On the other hand; everything you just stated is based on misinformation, spread by those that don't know, have never visited BDT, and are jealous & hateful...all based out of a dying website, made up of those kicked out of this very site for hateful attacks.

Why don't you 'farm' yourself back to the regions of hell, the bottomless pit of hatred aka the "other site"...the little that is left of it.

Carlos
    matuus likes this.

hate this. lol

i have the best. bdt built engines.
    bdt261 oem
    bdt363 prox
    bdt431 puma
    bdt561 saber
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links