Engine running awful
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Engine running awful

Engine running awful

So I bought my 86 r blowed up and rebuilt it it ran good for about a week then the counter balancer bearing went out and made a mess out of the bottom end I had a spare that came with the bike that had a 310 kit on it so I took the new top end kit on it and it wasn’t firing so I swapped stators and got it running but it ran awful wouldn’t even hit power band so I put new crank seals in it because I thought that was my issue but it didn’t fix the issue I noticed the spark was kinda weak looking and noticed the plug wire was taped up where it had Ben cut it has a nology coil I tried a 8 mm car plug wire but it didn’t help I’m wondering if that may b because it doesn’t have the ground strap I hate to give 42 dollars for a plug wire if that isn’t the problem can a regular plug wire be used with a nology coil I don’t know what would make it run badly from the bottom end considering I changed the stator and everything I noticed that the flywheel on the 310 had Ben grinded on the tab that comes around on the out side I guess to try change timing or something idk about half of the tab was grinded off so I changed the flywheel any awnsers on what my issue might be would be greatly appreciated

a whole new coil and wire is only $20.

Also when you put the spark plug cap on the new wire screw it on rather than trying to force the cap on the wire.That can cause a bad connection and weak spark..

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

I ended up putting new ends on the plug wire and getting it fixed I also found a bad connection to the coil and I think that was my issue I now have a nice blue spark but it’s 24 degrees here so haven’t got to get it out and see if it runs like it did before yet I’m crossing my fingers hoping that’s what it was
    american opel likes this.

carefull with cold temps and jetting.
    acecarlos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin335 View Post
    So I bought my 86 r blowed up and rebuilt it it ran good for about a week then the counter balancer bearing went out and made a mess out of the bottom end I had a spare that came with the bike that had a 310 kit on it so I took the new top end kit on it and it wasn’t firing so I swapped stators and got it running but it ran awful wouldn’t even hit power band so I put new crank seals in it because I thought that was my issue but it didn’t fix the issue I noticed the spark was kinda weak looking and noticed the plug wire was taped up where it had Ben cut it has a nology coil I tried a 8 mm car plug wire but it didn’t help I’m wondering if that may b because it doesn’t have the ground strap I hate to give 42 dollars for a plug wire if that isn’t the problem can a regular plug wire be used with a nology coil I don’t know what would make it run badly from the bottom end considering I changed the stator and everything I noticed that the flywheel on the 310 had Ben grinded on the tab that comes around on the out side I guess to try change timing or something idk about half of the tab was grinded off so I changed the flywheel any awnsers on what my issue might be would be greatly appreciated
    Make sure you run all OEM electricals, CDI included, not aftermarket. Get a New or good used OEM flywheel...ground on tab's are not a good thing.

Carlos

I had another flywheel I have already changed it and the stator is stock that I put in it the CSU box is dynatek and the coil is nology is it hard on a near stock engine to use the aftermarket firing stuff I really don’t want to go buy all new firing stuff if I don’t have to right now gets a little tight on money around Christmas but I also don’t want to tear up my engine I have got it getting nice blue spark everything seems to be working the way it should thanks Carlos

oem cdis only.or kickback and you will never jet it right.too much initial timing and not enough total.

Quote Originally Posted by american opel View Post
    oem cdis only.or kickback and you will never jet it right.too much initial timing and not enough total.
    Very True :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin335 View Post
    I had another flywheel I have already changed it and the stator is stock that I put in it the CSU box is dynatek and the coil is nology is it hard on a near stock engine to use the aftermarket firing stuff I really don’t want to go buy all new firing stuff if I don’t have to right now gets a little tight on money around Christmas but I also don’t want to tear up my engine I have got it getting nice blue spark everything seems to be working the way it should thanks Carlos
    Glad it's working better/good, keep an eye out for "Good" Working OEM CDI, hard to find, however; it really helps make the 250R's run as they originally did.

Carlos

I was trying to run a compression test just to c what the numbers on my r is but I must be doing something wrong all I am getting it up to is 60 psi for some reason I am holding throttle wide open and kicking it till gauge stops going up anyone have any ideas on what I may be doing wrong would the spacer plate make any difference on compression also I am doing the test with the engine cold it is very cold outside here and don’t want to drag it out in the cold weather thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links