What to get 330 power valve or not power valve?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By christph7

Thread: What to get 330 power valve or not power valve?

What to get 330 power valve or not power valve?

I'm looking to get a 330 set up but dont know what to get power valve or not power valve cilynder. What is the application for each? I do a little of sand drag and woods.

Here's my two cents. The more displacement you have, the less you need a power valve. On smaller displacement engines, a power valve helps with low end grunt when closed and allows for more top end when it opens up. Since a big bore already has low end grunt (even when ported for top end), it doesn't need a power valve. A power valve also tends to even out the power delivery, whereas a non-power valve will typically have a stronger hit. If you like a distinct hit in power and have the skill to ride on it, I'd recommend a non-power valve for a big bore. Plus you won't have to bother with cleaning a power valve.
    american opel and Steve056 like this.
    1982 ATC 250R
    1984 ATC 250R
    1986 ATC 250R
    1988 TRX 250R
    1989 TRX 250R

Thanks man, I dont know anything about power valves.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by christph7 View Post
    Here's my two cents. The more displacement you have, the less you need a power valve. On smaller displacement engines, a power valve helps with low end grunt when closed and allows for more top end when it opens up. Since a big bore already has low end grunt (even when ported for top end), it doesn't need a power valve. A power valve also tends to even out the power delivery, whereas a non-power valve will typically have a stronger hit. If you like a distinct hit in power and have the skill to ride on it, I'd recommend a non-power valve for a big bore. Plus you won't have to bother with cleaning a power valve.
    What about someone like me who would be more interested in a smaller 310 setup who does mostly woods/state trails/GNCC type riding?
    1988 TRX 250R w/'89 Clutch Upgrade & Neil's CR500 Clutch Mod
    (2)1992 LT230E's
    2007 YZ250F
    1995 RT100 (my first dirt bike, still got it!)
    1976 CB750F Super Sport (still restoring my dads bike)
    -Previous Bikes-
    1986 TRX70
    1976 DT125 Enduro
    1987 YZ125
    2000 YZ80

Quote Originally Posted by Steve056 View Post
    What about someone like me who would be more interested in a smaller 310 setup who does mostly woods/state trails/GNCC type riding?
    If you spend most of your time below half throttle, pulling hard out of corners, etc., you might want a power valve. It will give you more low end grunt and will be more forgiving if you get off the pipe.
    1982 ATC 250R
    1984 ATC 250R
    1986 ATC 250R
    1988 TRX 250R
    1989 TRX 250R

When I got my original 420 from ESR I had my cylinder built with a power valve. When I had it rebuilt and ported by BDT I had them block it off. It makes so much torque and it’s geared and jetted spot on it’s a beast from 1/8 - full throttle, out of a corner in a straight line or up a hill.

I would suggest you opt for no power valve. That’s my opinion...
    1986 Honda FourTrax 250R
    BDT Puma coming soon..

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links