86 250r Rebuild suggestions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By acecarlos

Thread: 86 250r Rebuild suggestions

86 250r Rebuild suggestions

Hey guys, I just picked up my first 250r, and it’s bone stock. I also own an 08 LT-R 450, and i wanted to get any suggestions as to different routes or the best route as far as upgrading my bike, especially to out run my other bike. I’m open to any big bore kits or cranks, but I’ve never been a 2-stroke guy, so this is all new to me. I’d like a decent setup for general riding, but to still able to run the drag strip lol. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5C06952F-B630-49BB-9F89-B0F4FC7D6314_1553349891790.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	370.1 KB 
ID:	60515  

I would ride it a bit as is, make sure you like it before going and spending a bunch of money. Lots of guys buy 2-strokes and it's not for them.

First I would get shocks, then a simple pipe/carb upgrade. Make sure your chain is good and you have a good casesaver.

Doing motor work before suspension/handling setup is pointless.

Agreed, The most powerful engine in the world won't do you any good if it doesn't handle well. IMO suspension is the most important system on a machine. I lucked out and bought a good rear shock. went through 3 sets of front shocks. Before i ended up with my 450R DRS. They leave quite a bit to be desired. I'm actually gonna give ELKA stage 5 a try. Expensive as hell. Hope their worth it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jason0277 View Post
    Hey guys, I just picked up my first 250r, and it’s bone stock. I also own an 08 LT-R 450, and i wanted to get any suggestions as to different routes or the best route as far as upgrading my bike, especially to out run my other bike. I’m open to any big bore kits or cranks, but I’ve never been a 2-stroke guy, so this is all new to me. I’d like a decent setup for general riding, but to still able to run the drag strip lol. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    Get some good front aftermarket shocks, the rear 250R shock can be rebuilt-re-valved to perform nearly as good as the $1000-$1500 aftermarket versions.

As far as "decent setup for general riding, but to still able to run the drag strip"....can't really have both, that is the 'Best' of both forms of riding. You can build a killer 2 stroke 250R engine for "general riding" or for "drag", trying to combine both will get you an inferior package in both disciplines of riding. Note I said "package"....it's the combination of porting, pipe, carb, intake & reed sets, and fuel that define a great running combination, unfortunately "general riding" & "drag" are 'polar' opposites...:-)

You can build a good "general riding" engine, that will also have a good top end and run as a "drag" engine decently....as long as you accept it won't be the "best" at both.

Welcome aboard,

Carlos
    Big_Mike and aztecgwynn like this.
    BDT WURKS RACING....WWW.BDTMOTORSPORTS.COM ON EBAY TRY 250RTRIKES...OR CALL 909-466-9152...BDT IS THE HOME OF THE 250R....LARGEST NEW AND USED PARTS INVENTORY IN STOCK...."SIMPLY THE BEST"

I picked up a set of works performance remote rezzi shocks from here for my 86 trx250r and sent them to schmidty suspension last year for a full service. They are amazing on a set of plus 2 a arms. I have a stock 250r shock on back still that was sent to pep racing for their modifications and re valved. Very good setup also with my 450r rear end. Stock cylinder bored to 67.50 cool head 20cc dome Paul Turner pipe and PC silencer makes for one fun quad!

I agree with everyone else suspension first. You don't have to go out and spend a ton, but anything better than stock. LSR makes nice budget aarms set for $500+ could go basic elkas for front and rear. LSR rear axle.

Welcome to the forum,
    But I agree as stated earlier ride it first see if you like before pumping any money into your 250R!
    Now here are my list of upgrades in order but also ask yourself where are you going to ride your 250R, trails, woods, dunes?
    Roll Pegs
    Front shocks
    Rear +4 axle
    Rear shock rebuild
    Add 85 ATC 250R head gasket if motor healthy
    VForce 3 reeds
    And a pipe that matches your riding style and most important a pipe that matches motor
    Now shortcut on shocks or how to save $$$ buy yourself a used set of WORKS shocks used make sure if you buy used no cracked springs or missing collars or damaged shafts pitting or missing rebound bumpers as well. Now if shocks come with remote rezzies you can opt to remove rezzies and seal with schrader valves. Reason I say that is (1) amateur or novice riders can’t get shocks hot enough to need extra oil to cool down (2) if both rezzies bladders are blown to replace each bladder minimum each bladder will cost you $30.
    Axle you can get used but if you do take to machines to check straight anyways.
    Roll pegs hard to find but BDT makes nice pegs so look at that option as well.
    Rear shock is simple rebuild.
    Ask members what pipe they are using and find out what riding they do and see if any match your style of riding you want too do, try to buy used pipe of your choice and buy used. If buying used try to avoid any dents on pipe and buy marching silencer and do repack on silencer as well.
    VForce reeds and switching to 85 OEM head gasket buy new and try to do yourself again if motor is healthy.
    When you are done with motor do a leak down test make sure sealed and then take to tuner.
    Try to do the best job you can building your bike if you choose to keep it. Please don’t take any shortcuts as you will be upset if your shortcut fails. And most important ask questions and good luck

All good suggestions above, depends on money and riding style. Tires help a lot, depends on riding surface. Get a set of handle bars that fit YOU.
    Usually higher is better for some.
    86 253cc, 40pwk, CT OOF pipe.
    99 583 Formula Z
    74 340 TnT- in progress/restoration
    Owner, hellabrokeNH- coming soon.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links