Long vs. Short Rod Crank - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    87-89 don't need spacer plates when used with correct piston, the problem is most oversized pistons beyond the factory pistons are based on the 85-86 style piston with its large intake skirt cutaway.

remember the difference is small check here, http://www.r-central.net/trx250rforums/ind...?showtopic=3894
    Here's another thread worth looking at... Which to run Long rod or Short

I ran all the numbers for 90 degrees of crankshaft rotation and the rod angle it generates. Check my math, let me know if there are any errors.

Honda chose to use the short rod in the CR, which is good enough for me. But each rod has it's +/-

For those familiar with MacDizzy, he recommends the long rod for flat tracks, TT stuff, and motocross. He likes the short rod for straight line stuff and dunes. He also notes that the spacer plate you have to use with the long rod and 86 style piston increases the case volume, mellowing things out.

Hi guys, sorry to beat the dead horse 9 years later but I just picked up a TRX and need help further understanding this so I can make an informed decision. I am asking alot of people and some pros, but not getting a straight answer. So, I have an 86 frame which is irrelevant, someone put 88/89 cases in, I assume they broke them? I have an 87 cylinder and I have what I assume is an 86 crank because I have an 86 piston and no spacer plate. Motor is apart because a crank bearing is bad. Someone put in a new HotRods crank and Wiseco piston but didnt replace the bearings. I hear mixed things on HotRods cranks so I ordered a really nice Honda OEM core to send out for rebuild if I chose... I was gonna go long rod but now I am partially convinced to just say F it and use this new short rod HotRods. I understand the different combos, and use of a spacer plate but now my question is..... I have an 87 cylinder. If I stick with the short rod and 86 piston, is performance going to be effected by the fact that its an 86 piston and 87 cylinder? 87 has the bridged intake. if YES, well then I might as well just rebuild the crank and go with the 87+ style piston. Are there performance difference with mixing and matching these different style pistons and cylinders? I dont want to have tuning issues. My cylinder does have mild porting done to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TRX250R.net
    Advertisements

some like the faster rev of the sr crank and piston.some like the longrod crank for alittle better rod angle but in the big pisture there is really not mutch difference.as for cylinders they are all the same but a few minor differences but any piston rod kit works with any crank.87-88 cylinders have alittle better piston support..so big picture use what you have thats good and go from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links