Honda TRX250R Forums banner

Same topic --- powder coat - or ---" baked enamel

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  douglas 
#1 ·
a lot has been posted pc vs paint. what about BAKED ENAMEL ? My banshee is powder coated 2 years later its time to do it over. it obviously was not done correctly. years back i worked as a millwright maintenace mechanic in a sheet metal fabrication company that had 2 overhead track assembly line paint systems. Parts were hung washed dryed sprayed then through the oven they went. At the end of the line removed then packaged and shiped. this was a large production plant. I recall it to be very durable on steel metal shelving. I have draft plans to build my own oven to at a cost about $ 350. I've seen enough pc bikes around that look awesome and there pc on ther bikes are holding up just fine.
I'm lucky enough to have other bikes
09 kfx 450
08 ltr 450
08 yfz 450
01 banshee
all 450s bb modded. banshee 4mil herrjugs build. vp kills me every time i ride. thats the price of fun. So as i continue along as with any builds revamping re pc or paint is a constant. So i can build an oven or pay the powder coater guy. also in thought touch up along the way and stripping parts for new paint or pc. I have a blast cabinet and also a commercial sandblaster. Weighing the coast for the future stripping pc chemicaly sucks. My new build that i've been assembling parts for over 1 yr is an 87 250r. In the process of gussetting the frame then its time to ?
POWDER COAT OR BAKED ENAMEL ?
Pumashine, Carlos, 250r nation any input on your experiences. I know what the results on just painting my parts would be with out baking the paint.

See less See more
#2 ·
I use Valspar polyurethane. It is not as tough as PC but looks far better. If you ride in the desert or dirt PC is the way to go. I only ride in the sand and all my bikes look wet in the middle of summer. I bake all small parts after paint. 200 degrees for an hour is all it takes. Frames have to cure in time. I have frames going on 10 years now that are as shiny as the day I painted them. Of course I always shoot a candy coat!

#3 ·
In the past I have had several frames both powdered and painted. The only consistent finish I have found has been baked enamel. Honestly the prep is the key to both. I had a banshee frame that steel shot blasted then powdered black,that frame looked like it was dripping wet for 2 years! Then I had two 250r frames that were acid dipped then powdered,the finish was horrible! The last 450r and 250r frames I've done were regular sand blasted then sprayed with Rustoleum enamel,bought by the quart,from Chinamart. I do have a good painter,and it can be touched up easily,not to mention the red is real close to oem Honda. Neither will last forever,price and availability always plays a factor. If I was a xc guy I'd find a reputable coater and have it powdered. I mainly do light mx,parades and Quad Wars,paint works good for me

#5 ·
just my input, Last two I powder coated. been 4 yrs for the black one and still looks like its wet! the key is NOT to chemically strip the parts! Never with powder. blast it clean it and do the pc procces and give at least 7 to 10 days at no less than 70 degrees to fully cure. I just did a white one and Ill post pics of this sick ass project tommorrow. Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.