+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hello. I am new to the website.. This is an awesome website. Ive been reading all the posts on here..And I also recently bought a 1986 250r, I have always wanted one. Anyways. Im in the process of building a new engine.. The bearing in the counter balancer sounds a little rough and was wondering if there is a way to replace the bearing on the assembly.. The book says it cant be rebuilt,is this correct?

Thanx

Mike

Thats what the book says, but thats for a average joe blow. I have had 6 of them rebuilt. I think if you ask C-Leigh Racing on here, he rebuilds them for a decent price.
    Cool, Thanx.. Ill give them a shout..

Thanx,

Mike

Few more questions. Im looking for a complete bearing kit.. I seen on ebay there was some kits. Are they good kits or should I stick witm OEM kits? Also, Do yall reccomend in buying the oem crank shaft or a hotrods crank shaft.. Thanx.

Mike

CMF
    They dont need to be oem, but I would not go with a cheap china bearing, Especiallly for the crank or counter ballencer. Koyo is mainly whats in 250r oem, or ntn, skf, timken & fag lots of good bearing producers. Make sure they meet the abec grade also. A good bearing shop can hook you up with some bearings, seals also, if you bring in the numbers or bearings, just make sure they understand the application & you want good ones. If you are not sure then run OEM. I don't think Honda gets too crazy on the price if they are, you can try some of those online honda sites for prices if you don't have a helpful local dealer/ shop.

Also install is important dont go beating a new bearing on!!

I don't know of any of the cranks having issues oem, hot rod, wiseco? I would ask C-leigh though or go to that section an ask him?

ABEC (Annular Bearing Engineers Committee) rated bearings meet industry accepted dimensional tolerances for precision. The higher the ABEC number, the more precise the bearing. Example abec 1 not as precision as abec 3 vs abec 7 precision.
    For wheel bearing / carrier you will want a double contact sealed bearing vs the engine with open bearings.

I started using a local bearing place as well. I give them the size and what it will be used for and I get better bearings at a much cheaper cost.

No way I would buy bearings off the net. Either Honda (from local store that gives discount) or the bearing place.

I need to get a bearing press, but another topic.

i have a good good shape counter balancer bearing still on shaft...sheared a tooth off..let me know!!!!

i couldnt trust that...... last time i had a sheared tooth it sent a shock through to the crank bearing on the same side.

Can the top of the gear be pressed off the shaft to remove the bearing without tearing the shaft up?I have a press.. Is shaft splined or do i need to mark it before I press it apart?

Mike

I just rebuilt my counterbalancer. Super easy if you have a press. I scribed a line from the shaft on to the gear. Freeze the shaft and heat the gear when putting back together.
    '89 TRX 431 Puma - 50mm Lectron- Shearer inframe- +8 Swingarm- Vforce- CR ignition- Renagade Fuel
    '00 CR250
    '04 CR85
    '03 KX65
    '05 KTM Pro Senior 50
    '03 XR50
    -----'04, '06, '08, '13 Indiana AMA District 15 Hillclimb State Champion
    Higher Ground Hillclimbing Team

Cool. I really appreciate it.. I just wanted to know before I tried to press the peices apart and ruin the sprocket or shaft..lol.. This is my first 250r build. Ive been wanting one for quite some time now and FINIALLY got one..

Thanx

Mike

Ads