+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Have a chance to pick up a 84 250r ATC, is it worth it?

Have a chance to pick up a 84 250r ATC, is it worth it?

Have an opportunity to purchase an 84 250r atc for cheap ($200-$300). It does run, actually runs pretty good. Plastics are all cracked and in bad bad shape. Pretty much all stock from what I can see and it is very dirty and unattractive. I know the liquid cooled atc's are much more desirable, but for the right price is an 84 a decent pickup?

Thanks,

Al

Absolutely! They're a blast to rip around on. If it's running for that price, I'd snatch it up. I bought two for that price a while back and made them into one. Below are before and after pics. You'll love it man.
    Attached Images
    RIDE-RED 350r likes this.
    Unhinged ATV
    Online ATV, UTV and Motorcycle Parts Store
    www.unhingedatv.com

1986 TRX310R

ESR 310 xc ported running C12 at 210 psi
    ESR Trx-5 / 38mm Mikun i/ V-force 3 / Hiper Tech-3's
    PEP Shocks / Burgard +2 arms and +2 stem
    Lonestar swinger / WestCoast hubs / CCP stabilizer
    Full skids / Fat bars / NAC's shrouds
    Motorsports nerfs / AC front bumper
    Precision shock and Vibe / Pro-fab footpegs
    RAD Axle nut / etc. etc.

how do those air cooled motors compare to a properly set up blaster motor. One of my blasters has a pretty wild setup, porting, shaved head, 34mm carb, pipe, etc. etc. but the power is still nothing like a 250R. so thats all I think of when I see one of these 82-84 ATCS is just buzzing around a blasterish type power level...

is the suspension decent?

just curious
    88 x 3 TRX250R's, couple 88 blasters, couple 85 350x's, 87/85 TRX350XR hybrid, 88 zilla, 92/87 Hybrid LT250/500R, & JP Racing Outlaw chassis w/ LT500R HRD motor

Quote Originally Posted by Dman250r View Post
    Absolutely! They're a blast to rip around on. If it's running for that price, I'd snatch it up. I bought two for that price a while back and made them into one. Below are before and after pics. You'll love it man.
    Very nice!! Thanks for the advice. How is the aftermarket on these things? Never really looked into them.

Aftermarket on the 85-86 ATC is going to be much more available than the 81-84 ATC. I had an 83 and everything I found was for the liquid cooled ones but for that price buy it and rip it around just like it is. It wont be the fastest thing but they are a blast to ride and they're very light. Watch it when you're turning or you'll roll it. Have fun.

Let's see. Lots of questions to respond to so here goes. The air cooled motors are nothing like the liquid cooled ones but are still pretty darn quick. Probably on par with a 400ex or so as far as acceleration. I can pull 3rd gear wheelies down the road with no issue whatsoever and mine will smoke a stock blaster. Gotta remember, these things are light as can be. Parts, especially performance parts are somewhat difficult to come by. You can find used performance parts on some of the forums and ebay (especially reeds, spacers, exhausts etc) but the products are limited. Keep in mind, there are a lot of 1st and 2nd gen 250r's out there that will totally rip, because you can get port work done and raise the compression and will haul A$$. All I did to mine was open the airbox, and remove the spark arrestor from the pipe and rejetted. BIG difference over stock. These aircooled motors (especially with the stock pipe) have a lot more low end than you would think from a 2 stroke.. Rocky Mountain has a lot of the bearings and seals you would need so those aren't an issue at all. As far as suspension goes, it's ok. I had the rear shock rebuilt to factory specs and I took care of the fronts. The front springs were within tolerance so I reused em and replaced everything else. The front was still too soft so I used a trick I saw on another forum and cut a small piece of PVC pipe and put one in each fork tube to stiffen it up a bit. Helps alot but is still not going to be modern suspension. I've also got a set of rear wheel spacers I use on occasion to widen the rear. I also have a set of 18" tires I like to put on every once in a while. With the wheel spacers and the 18's the trikes a riot. People look at you like your crazy when you're railing berms and hangin the tail end out. Mine sits in my finished basement through the winter (wife calls it my museum because I keep a restored XR down there too, but I break em out this time of the year and ride em throughout the summer.

Bottom line. If you're looking for a performance trike that can rip with the 250r, don't bother with the 1st or 2nd gen. The motor and the suspension will not be up to the task. (1st gens are even worse!) But if you want a cool toy to screw around on and still be able to take to the trails and rip around , the 2nd gen will do you proud.
    Unhinged ATV
    www.unhingedatv.com

1986 TRX310R

RAD Axle nut / etc. etc.

For the price, it runs... buy it!
    If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave feedback here. http://www.trx250r.net/forum/trader-...tml#post152670

Thank you.

An armed society is a POLITE society....

My buddy had a 84 that was ported with exaust etc and it ripped. I'd say that 84 would rip up a piped 400ex pretty easy straight line.
    86 R, pro x 350 long rod, hinson basket, sparks mx system, vforce 2, 40.5 pwk, Fourwerx shrouds and hood, +2 +1 LSR race arms, -1 lsr swing arm, 2+2 durablue axle, Houser stem, alba nerfs, works tripples w/remote rezzis, and so on....

I'll put in another vote for GET IT! or at least send me the contact info so I can get it. I have always been more attracted to the air coolers, then I am the water pumpers. Theres just something about them. Lots of info is still out there on the net for them to. CHeck out 3wheeler.org and threewheelerworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Victork View Post
    My buddy had a 84 that was ported with exaust etc and it ripped. I'd say that 84 would rip up a piped 400ex pretty easy straight line.
    Definitely bud. Mines bone stock except for the easy mods I did to it so if you port it, bump compression, bigger carb, better pipe they'll flat tear it up. There are some guys on the "airfooler" site that have theirs built to run like scalded dogs. I was looking to keep mine stock when I restored it, but I have soooooo many extra carbs and such from my TRX, I've been thinking of taking it to the next level. I just haven't because I took all that time to restore it to stock specs.
    Unhinged ATV
    www.unhingedatv.com

1986 TRX310R

RAD Axle nut / etc. etc.