+ Reply to Thread
    Anyone got any ideas how to remove the gigantic snap ring that holds the sprocket hub onto the axle? I'm sure there's a tool for it that I don't have. I did it before I think using channel lock pliers somehow. I could get enough leverage to pull the snap ring apart, but I can't remember what else I used
    1986 Honda TRX 250R, BDT Motorsports Motor, Laeger Swing Arm, Laeger A-Arms + 2, Laegar Steering Stem, P.E.P Steering Damper

1988 Honda TRX 250R, Duncan Racing National Kit, Gussetted Stock Frame, Laeger Swing Arm, Laeger A-Arms + 2, Laegar Steering Stem, Laeger Flip Seat, P.E.P Suspension, P.E.P Steering Damper,

Channel-Lock makes some really nice snap-ring pliers. They have a little switch on them that converts them from inside snap-ring pliers to outside snap-ring pliers. They set me back $25 at my local Home Depot.

Channel-Lock makes some really nice snap-ring pliers. They have a little switch on them that converts them from inside snap-ring pliers to outside snap-ring pliers. They set me back at my local Home Depot.
    I may have to check those out. My husband went to Napa this morning and got a pair of snap ring pliers that have the flap tip on them, but they are too big. This is the biggest snap ring I've think I've ever seen. It's twice the size of the one on my 88.
    1986 Honda TRX 250R, BDT Motorsports Motor, Laeger Swing Arm, Laeger A-Arms + 2, Laegar Steering Stem, P.E.P Steering Damper

1988 Honda TRX 250R, Duncan Racing National Kit, Gussetted Stock Frame, Laeger Swing Arm, Laeger A-Arms + 2, Laegar Steering Stem, Laeger Flip Seat, P.E.P Suspension, P.E.P Steering Damper,

You are talking about the big “Snap Ring” you find on LoneStar or DuraBlue axles?

You need to press the Aluminum Hub away from the Snap Ring until the ring is fully exposed...it will move away from the “Snap Ring” if pressed.

Then you can pry the ring out of the axle grove using two screw drivers. Use the blades of the screw drivers to pry the ring out of the grove while leveraging against the Aluminum Sprocket. Once the ring is removed; you can press the Sprocket out of the axle.

Reverse to install…

Carlos.

BDT MOTORSPORTS 909-466-9152 M-F 9:00 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 4:30 PM. Visit our Web Site at WWW.BDTMOTORSPORTS.COM or email: BDTMOTORSPORTS@YAHOO.COM 'SIMPLY THE BEST' BDT MOTORSPORTS'

QUOTE(acecarlos @ Jul 1 2011, 07:02 PM) You need to press the Aluminum Hub away from the Snap Ring until the ring is fully exposed...it will move away from the “Snap Ring” if pressed.

Carlos.
    Thanks Carlos, I didn't know the hub would do that. The axle on my 88 is a Lonestar, but the snap ring is only about half the diameter.

QUOTE(Lonewulf71 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:10 PM) Thanks Carlos, I didn't know the hub would do that. The axle on my 88 is a Lonestar, but the snap ring is only about half the diameter.

Your Aluminum Hub has a recess were the Snap Ring sits in,you can't get that Snap Ring out without sliding the hub away first.

Carlos.
    BDT MOTORSPORTS 909-466-9152 M-F 9:00 AM to 6 PM, Saturday 10 AM to 4:30 PM. Visit our Web Site at WWW.BDTMOTORSPORTS.COM or email: BDTMOTORSPORTS@YAHOO.COM 'SIMPLY THE BEST' BDT MOTORSPORTS'

LOL...I read the initial post way too fast. I thought she was talking about the snap-ring that holds the brake plate on. Oops.

Well if you ever DO want to remove that snap-ring, Channel-Lock pliers are great.

Ads